Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "ULTRA' Filter Sand

1. Back To Top    #1

"ULTRA' Filter Sand

Got in our new INtex 1600 pump/filter. Husband purchased some type of Ultra sand which states on the box that instead of the required 50#s, you only need 25#. Has anyone else used this product/amount?
    16 x 48 Intex Ultra; Intex 1600 sand filter/pump;
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: "ULTRA' Filter Sand

Sounds like another product called zeobrite that has had very mixed reviews. I would take it back if you can. Sand has worked just fine for millions of years and it will continue to do so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

too late--hubby put it in Saturday and we've been running the pump 24/7 trying to clear up algae/cloudy water....waiting on my TF test kit to come in...
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

4. Back To Top    #4

Go ahead and use it. I do. But the only reason I bought it is because I couldn't find any pool filter sand. The zeo works great but so does sand. If you ever have to replace it just get the regular pool filter sand. That's my intention. There have been a lot of bad reviews on zeo. I don't see any added benefits. Of the 5 pools I know of with sand filters, mine is the only one with zeo. Their pools are just as clear as mine. I've used the zeo for a year now. No problems yet. But I do intend to replace it in the next couple of years with regular filter sand.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

will keep pluggin along and try to be patient. Each day is a little better. I just questioned the amount/type of this different brand. Glad to know you're currently using with no problems...
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

6. Back To Top    #6

Backwash the heck out of it first. Twice as long as recommended.
    Bestway SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

great--currently, backwashing every morning
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't need to backwash every day unless you know it needs backwashing. Next time you backwash, when you turn it back to filter, check the pressure gauge and get an accurate reading when the filter is clean. After that, keep checking your gauge. When the pressure goes up about 25%, backwash. For example, if your clean pressure reading is 8 psi, when the pressure goes up to about 10 psi, it's time to backwash. You should not have to backwash daily unless there's something going on in your pool - such as the algae bloom you have going on now. After you get that cleared up, you can go days without backwashing.

GC
    Bestway SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

With the intex 1600 I used last year I could tell by the flow dropping off that I needed to backwash before the gauge change more than 2 psi. When I installed it the pool was on the verge of a bad algae outbreak and I had a lot of road dust silt built up so I was backwashing often. Usually for only a couple of minutes and then flow and pressure would return to normal. After I got all the crud filtered out, over about a weeks time, I only had to backwash once more before we took the pool down in the fall.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320