Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Circulating CYA - how long?

1. Back To Top    #1

Circulating CYA - how long?

I'm adding some powder CYA (Haviland) and I filled a sock up (no idea the weight actually) and put it in the skimmer and let the pump run all night. About 18 hours later and the sock was empty! The last time I did this, it took a couple of days. I don't know if the work I've done to fix various leaks (suction and pressure side) had anything to do with it, but that sure seemed quick!

Now, my question is do I need to wait for this to circulate? I have a cartridge filter but seems to me that having gotten through the sock, it's dissolved and should be in the pool and ready for more.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Circulating CYA - how long?

Put in more! No need to wait.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

so once its dissolved your ok to test? I though you had to wait for it to circulate?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA may not show up on your test for several days or a week but it's in there. That's why is a good idea to know how much you are adding so you have an idea of where you are in relation to your target number.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I added mine (9lbs) 3 days ago. It's about done dissolving and my target was 50ppm (154oz). I am currently at 35ppm. Looks like I am on track then. Cool.

I would give yours a few days and test again.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator