Pentair CCP520 Clean and Clear Plus: Clogging

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I have an out of town family member who owns an 85,000 gallon pool that recently switched from an old sand filter to a Pentair CCP520 Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter. He is searching for reasons as to why the cartridges are plugging up so quickly. Presently he is having to exchange/clean filters every 3 or 4 days. The pressure rises quickly, shutting off flow.

He is thinking that the filters may have something "imbedded" in them (even after cleaning) causing them to plug up and therefore is looking for ways to clean the filters. I have found several threads here detailing the cleaning of these filters but I am not certain that is the problem.

First of all he stated that the pressure returns to normal after cleaning the cartridges with water. Secondly, this entire filter system and the cartridges is just a couple of months old and that causes me to believe it could be a water chemistry problem instead. I do not have a set of water test results to post as I don't believe that he does complete water testing, however I do know that he has stated there are a couple places in the pool where he can see algae even though the rest of the pool is clear.

Will the presence of algae in the water cause this frequent clogging even though the pool is basically clear?

Wow, an 85,000 gallon residential pool?

Working from memory (I'm at home), I don't think the CCP520 is really big enough (especially if he has an algae problem). He may have to go to a pair of filters in parallel.

Did I say wow, 85,000 gallons? :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.