Can you reduce or eliminate salt taste in a chlorine pool

Re: Can you reduce or eliminate salt taste in a chlorine poo

What do you use to add chlorine? Liquid chlorine adds salt, although I do not think the concentration in the pool gets very high normally ... like maybe around 2000ppm. SWG want it up around 3200ppm and most people can not taste that. I myself think I can tell a difference around 2000ppm.

Either way, who cares what some people think the water tastes like ... it should not be causing a problem.

Have you test for the actual salt level?

The pool uses liquid chlorine. The residential pool is manually added, the commercial is aromatically added with a Stenner feeder. I will get the pool tested for salt level, never the less it still has a salt flavor and the customers pay the bills. Does anyone have a recommendation for how often pool water should be changed out (not easy when your running a business.

Have you always owned these pools? Or are the a recent acquire? Could it be that they were salt water pools?

Are the bill payers complaining or inquiring?

Salt doesn't go away, it has to be reduced via changing the water, might not require a total water change.

You could just say yes it is a salt water pool........

Owned both pools about 10 years. The commercial pool water was replaced about 5 years ago. I am confident they were never salt water pools by the age of the equipment when purchased. Both pools can be viewed at www.venicebeachvillas.com

Some customers comment, not a real show stopper. The question is can the salt tastes levels be reduced. If the answer is no, it would be great to know.

All sources of chlorine are going to add salt that builds up over time. Liquid chlorine will add add more salt than a solid chlorine source - but they all add salt.

In a year round commercial pool this might add up to a lot of salt after a few years. You could easily be adding somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-4000ppm per year in salt minus whatever water replacement is going on.

It might be interesting to measure the salt content of the pool to see if the comments are warranted. You may find it is pretty high.

Other than draining the pools every year or two - not sure there is anything that can be done about the taste.

I think folks are not giving you a direct answer because the question is so unusual. To my knowledge, we have never had an objection to salt taste on the forum in 5 years....even in salt pools.

Short of a drain/refill (if your salt level is really that high) I can think of no solution.

I use winter rain overflow where I live to dilute the water each year. This keeps the salt level in the roughly 1000-1500 ppm range and it doesn't taste salty to me, but everyone has a different taste sensitivity. For chlorinating liquid and bleach, for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) you add you are also increasing the salt level by 17 ppm when accounting for chlorine usage/consumption. So at 2 ppm FC per day, that's an increase in salt of about 100 ppm per month. Adding acid also adds to salt (chloride). You can only keep the salt level down through dilution of the water. Don't forget also that for plaster pools where you may add calcium chloride to increase Calcium Hardness (CH), you may start off with 350 ppm salt even if you started from scratch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Funny, I was just reading a decent article about TDS when I stumbled shortly after onto your thread!

http://ppoa.org/pdfs/What%20is%20the%20 ... Solids.pdf

If you go by this article, the high TDS contribution by Sodium Hypochlorite is contributing significantly to your salt levels. Certainly every Pool Plant course I have completed has erred caution in the use of Sodium v Calcium hypochorite for High TDS levels. In a backdoor kind of way this could be argued that high TDS = high salt levels = salty taste in the water, supporting an argument to use Calcium Hypochlorite as opposed to Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach.)

That is not a reccomendation to switch santisisers, merely an observation on your post, and some food for thought for you to digest, you will also notice an interesting piece in the article about using a de-salinator in your plant room would actively reduce the salt level.

Regards
Stuart

you should try a SWCG that uses 5600ppm to run!! My pool does, and yes the water "tastes" a bit salty, but nothing that causes anyone to say "yuck" I can't swim in that.

See Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught for more info on the side effects of different chlorine sources. ALL sources of chlorine increase the salt level because chlorine becomes chloride when it gets used/consumed. Chlorinating liquid, bleach and lithium hypochlorite add additional salt upon addition so net add twice as much as Trichlor and Dichlor, but these latter two increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) instead and that's far worse. Cal-Hypo adds additional salt but about half as much as the other hypochlorites, but it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) which can be a problem if CH levels are already high.

Remember that the PPOA articles generally refer to commercial/public pools with high bather loads. In residential pools where the daily FC usage may be 2 ppm, the salt level using chlorinating liquid or bleach rises by about 100 ppm per month so not that bad, though if there is no water dilution at all then this can build up over years.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyweed said:
you should try a SWCG that uses 5600ppm to run!! My pool does, and yes the water "tastes" a bit salty, but nothing that causes anyone to say "yuck" I can't swim in that.

And I thought mine was high at a requirement of 4500!!

Hey venice,
Next time someone comments on the salt taste just tell them that you added salt to the pool because of the soft feel of the water on the skin. All you gotta do is put a positive spin on it and most people are satisfied.

GC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.