K-1716 Taylor Iron Test questions

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
can i leave the pipets in the reagents? or should i rinse them out and put the caps back on the bottles?

I have iron stains on my walls, tested the water and its .00 there is no shade or hint of purple at all, had couple people look at the test results also. Is this because its all attached to the fiberglass? i was assuming that there should be some iron in the water? and what it can't hold attaches to the fiberglass?

I did an AA treament 2 weeks ago and used metal free, but the stains came back after 2 weeks.

I do have a CuLator in the skimmer that is turning orange(iron)

water is crystal clear cept for the stains on the wall

It is normal for iron to test low or zero when there are stains. All of the iron went into the stains. The iron level will come up when you remove the stains and the iron is in the water again.

You need to use sequestrant regularly, or the stains just come back. The removal treatment simply puts the iron back in the water, it doesn't (usually) remove it from the pool.

We don't recommend Metal Free. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Ask Taylor, they have the authoritative answer on leaving the pipets in the reagents.

I did ask them that exact question, and about storing the reagents horizontally, a few years ago. They said in a nutshell that some reagents can deteriorate the rubber in the bulb. So that's what I do, I save the caps, use the pipet, rinse them after use, and replace the cap.

There is no problem in storing the reagents horizontally BTW.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.