Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA PPm Calculation

1. Back To Top    #1

TA PPm Calculation

Does anyone know/understand how the "poolcalculator" figures out TA concentrations? I am having trouble duplicating the TA result generated by the poolcalculator. Given a volume of 20,000 gallons (US) and 0 ppm TA, the calculator generates a result of 563 oz (35 lb) of baking soda required to reach 120 ppm. However, (35 lb) / (20,000 gal x 8.35 lb/gal) x 1,000,000 = 210 ppm. Does anyone know how the calculator arrives at 120 ppm?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: TA PPm Calculation

Welcome to TFP!

By convention, TA is measured as ppm of CaCO3, even though that isn't what you are adding to raise TA. The difference between Ca and Na are ignored, as they have no real impact on the chemistry.

To adjust the molecular weight you multiply by the weight of CaCO3 (84 ish), divide by the molecular weight of NaHCO3 (100 ish) and then there is another factor of 2 (which I always get wrong, but roughly speaking that is why they call it bi-carbonate).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah, I knew there was a molar ratio involved! So, TA is really a measure of the carbonate ion concentration, that's why you divide by 2 at the end. Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Yes, carbonate ions can accept 2 protons so count twice towards TA. So you need half as much carbonate as bicarbonate in molar units.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"