I am waiting on my TF-100 test kit

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am waiting on my TF-100 test kit, so I took a water sample to a nearby pool store for testing and they said my chlorine levels were too high, which I found very suspect. I did three strip tests over the last two days and each test indicated the exact opposite - my chlorine levels are too LOW (not by a lot, but certainly not above 8 ppm which they were saying). I pumped in the relevant info into The Pool Calculator and it told me exactly how much 6% bleach to add. How easy is that?!

It will be nice to be able to independently maintain our pool, with some timely advice from fellow TFP members of course!

Re: BBB for Beginners

Not to hijack this, but rather to the point of this test kit -- It included a smaller Blue Case test kit for testing (1) Chlorine, (2) Bromine, and (3) PH ...

- First, why Bromine? I mean nowhere in the PC is that tested. What is the optimum figure for that? It's obvioulsly tested as the same time as the Chlorine since it's the same 5 drops in the same cell and both are labeled there.

- The FILL LINE : How the heck to you fill it to just the fill line? I tried like 10 times, and tilted it over to remove tiny amounts at a time to get to that line only to remove too much & have to empty & start over again. I think it's too bad that it shouldn't just be a FULL fill ... So what is your technique to get to that line? or is "close" OK with this particular test piece?

cody21 said:
Not to hijack this, but rather to the point of this test kit -- It included a smaller Blue Case test kit for testing (1) Chlorine, (2) Bromine, and (3) PH ...

- First, why Bromine? I mean nowhere in the PC is that tested. What is the optimum figure for that? It's obvioulsly tested as the same time as the Chlorine since it's the same 5 drops in the same cell and both are labeled there.

- The FILL LINE : How the heck to you fill it to just the fill line? I tried like 10 times, and tilted it over to remove tiny amounts at a time to get to that line only to remove too much & have to empty & start over again. I think it's too bad that it shouldn't just be a FULL fill ... So what is your technique to get to that line? or is "close" OK with this particular test piece?

Some pools and spas use bromine, and the test is the same although the scale is different. Don't worry about it.

Use a squeeze bottle to collect your sample and fill the cylinders. You can add a drop at a time if you want.

cody21 said:

Once you have your pool chemistry in control the T-1000 (the test kit you refered too) is a great way to do daily testing to make sure your you have chlorine in the pool. Also, it is the only way in the TF-100 to test ph.

As for the fill, I have gotten very good at filling to the top and then with a quick shake getting about the right fill level. It took some practice, but I get it right with one or two shakes almost every time now. For the OTO chlorine test (the yellow side) the accuracy is not great to start with so the exact water level is not ultra important.

cody21 said:

If you're really having trouble getting the right amount (or just sometimes lazy!) Taylor makes a sample sizing tool that you just dunk in the water to get the exact measurement for either 10ml or 25ml. This is, of course, dependent upon using their #9198 test vials (I don't know if those are the standard vials in your kit):

SampleSizer #6190

It's about $14 - $15.

I am using a medicine dropper I get free with any liquid medication from Kaiser. It's a a 5ML size that is great for my 5ML vials (OTO block tester). Two squeezes for the 10 ML vials. I normally pour in the 25 ML samples but I can make small adjustments with the dropper.

As for any extra, I find a flick of my finger will knock out a tiny amount of water.

Here is what they look like (but mine has a pink squeeze bulb)
2101.jpg

I am going to guess most pharmacies have these behind the counter. When I am at the pharmacy, they just reach into a box behind the counter.

Wal-Mart shows these for $1.34

0007685560105_180X180.jpg

linen said:
As for the fill, I have gotten very good at filling to the top and then with a quick shake getting about the right fill level. It took some practice, but I get it right with one or two shakes almost every time now. For the OTO chlorine test (the yellow side) the accuracy is not great to start with so the exact water level is not ultra important.

I too struggled with this at first, but my PB sent their awesome maintenance guy out and he showed me a cool trick... Fill the tubes up to the top as you normally would by dunking 12-18" below the surface, hold it sideways so you're looking at the line embossed on the side (don't tilt it so the water pours out, just rotate it so you're looking through the side of the tube). Give it a few quick, firm taps with your finger and the water will "jump" out a few drops at a time. Keep doing this until the water level goes down to the line. You can spin it around and do it to the other side as well. Once you try it a few times, it's really easy to get it down. I'm at the point now where I tap it 2-3 times and I'm right at 25ml. I can probably throw up a quick lil video of this if anyone wants!

Jose

I find it easier if you pour the excess water ou towards the center, as opposed to the outside edge. At least with the color block tester I have.

Really though, you are doing a subjective color based test where the scale is pretty granular and it subject to how you perceive colors. having 5 extra drops of water in there really does increase the error bars.

-dave

Thanks for al lthe wisdom ... I decided on the plastic bottle fill approach and it works great ... I have a travel bottle (plastic) that I just fill .. then at the comfort of my "testing table" I just squeeze the appropriate amounts into the various test tubes - and can adjust at a by-the-drop level as needed to hit the fill line perfectly ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other trick I picked up here is how to get the water from 1-2 feet below the surface. I bought a 2 foot long piece of 1/2 inch PVC from the pre-cut rack at HomeDepot. I place my thumb over the end of the pipe and put the other end into the pool (pipe is full of air) I then lift my finger off the end and the water will fill the pipe and make a small fountain. I then place my thumb back over the pipe and pull it out of the pool and put the deep end of the pipe into my water pitcher I use for the pool. I do this a couple times and have all the water I need for all of the tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.