The magic of disappearing water!!!

Jul 13, 2007
Our 34K gallon, IG vinyl pool loses about an inch of water per day. A bucket test showed little or no overnight loss compared to about 1/2" pool loss (with no pump running) The daytime loss is about the same. Have tried to check around the pool with food coloring, goggles etc. but have found nothing that would indicate a leak although with a large pool, it is possible we missed something. I am trying to let the pool continue to fall to see if it gets to a certain level but difficult this time of year with it being so hot. Right now I am circulating through main drains and the suction cleaner...no skimmers since they are about dry. I know that evaporation is an issue since our pool is exposed from daylight to dusk with very little wind protection. Still, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to check for next????? I have pretty good valve control but since I am losing with pump on and off, not sure that would help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! No obvious green grass patches in an otherwise dry yard. Thanks in advance!

Plugging off pipes is the next step in the discovery process.

Since you're running from the main drain I'd continue doing that and see if it stops just below the skimmers. That'll give you a clue if it's the skimmers or not.

As a matter of fact...I do have returns (2) In fiberglass steps and another 2 in a fiberglass buddy seat. However, I kept the step returns plugged from winterizing until recently and we were still losing water. I am curious as to why you ask????

UPDATE.....It wasn't magic after all. My wonderful bride spent an afternoon in the pool with a pair of goggles and a snorkel and she was able to find two small tears in our liner. They weren't large, but they would suck the food coloring right out of the pool. Did a bucket test last night and didn't lose any water that I can see compared to 1/2" a couple of nights ago. :party: The small tears can be really hard to see depending on the pattern of your liner but they can suck out a good bit of water!

rockyboy said:
As a matter of fact...I do have returns (2) In fiberglass steps and another 2 in a fiberglass buddy seat. However, I kept the step returns plugged from winterizing until recently and we were still losing water. I am curious as to why you ask????

both my flanges leaked ( one really bad) plugging them just eliminates the piping not the seal..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.