Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet another Vacation question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet another Vacation question...

Getting ready to head out for 9 days of vacation and trying to determine best way to handle pool. Pool is 25,000 gallon inground vinyl with sand filter, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains and SWG. Pool numbers are in check according to TPF recommended levels and water is pristine. No big trees or leaf problems to worry about. The way I see it, I have a couple of options:

1. Raise water level & FC level, lower normal SWG Chlorine output and let pump run 24 hrs while away
    2. Raise pool to shock level, throw a couple of pucks in a floater (CYA currently at 70 for SWG) and leave pump off
    3. Buy a timer and install prior to leaving and leave everything the way I normally operate the pool (pump run time ~12 hrs)

I am leaning towards option 1 or possibly 3, but would love some expert feedback.
    Cincinnati, OH
    18' x 37' x 46' - 25k gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair SuperFlo 1HP
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 75 GPM
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40
    Pentair MasterTemp 250

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yet another Vacation question...

I like #3 the best.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd go for option 3 as being easiest in the long-run. The one thing to watch for is water loss from evaporation while you are gone. You may need to overfill the pool to prevent issues if no one will be checking it.

Go Cats!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

With "real" equipment, I would think just running everything as normal. My personal problem with that would be I have Intex stuff. If power goes down for any reason, the SWG is fine and would turn back on but the filter/pump's inline GFI circuit trips as soon as power goes out at the plug. Found that out after sweating all day in the non-ventilated garage running wire for a GFI outlet out on the porch and spending money on a timer only to have the inline GFI trip every time the timer shut down.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick replies, I am leaning towards installing a timer. Good point regarding evaporation, I had planned on overfilling but now wonder if I should close valves on skimmers and just pull from the bottom main drains? This would eliminate potential low water problems.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Pentair SuperFlo 1HP
    Pentair MasterTemp 250

6. Back To Top    #6

#3...anyone you can have check on the pool halfway through your time away?
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

7. Back To Top    #7

If you only draw from the bottom drain, you not be skimming anything off the surface and it will all sink to the floor with enough time; but that may not be an issue for you. Do you have a diverter vale in your skimmer to control the suction in case your water level goes too low?

How much CL do you normally add each day?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a SWG that i normally run at 40% for 12-14 hrs. I have added a few jugs of bleach to boost the FC over the past couple of weeks due to extremely high temps and heavy swimmer load.

Don't have a diverter valve but sound a like a good add-on. Any suggestions for installing?
    Cincinnati, OH
    Pentair SuperFlo 1HP
    Pentair MasterTemp 250