Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer question

Hi all, i have two skimmers on my pool (new owner of the house). This saturday I see my pump didn't priming water and my level water is halfway up the skimmer box opening. When i check my skimmers, one is priming water ok and one is not priming water in the skimmer, but when i put some water in the not working skimmer, it did prime OK. It is look like my water is too low, so the one skimmer is not prming. My question is when i look the skimmers water level inside, i see both skimmers are not at the same level. I see the bad skimmer is about 0.5 inch higher than the good skimmer. Could someone let me know is this normal? or is there something fix for this? Now i added water to 1/2 halfway up the skimmers box.
    - NY Albany ~27000 water
    - In ground Vinyl 18' X 40' X 8' Deep Curved Roman End
    - Pentiar TA 60 Sand Filter
    - Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP Energy Efficient Full-Rated 2-Speed
    - 250K BTU Nat/Elec. Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer question

Ideally they should be the same height but ½" isn't bad. You want the water level to be 2/3rd's to 3/4th's the way up the skimmer face plate and since your's aren't the same level I use the higher one as the measure.

On an inground pool (or any pool for that matter) it's not an easy task to raise a skimmer. If you do want to do it you should wait till you have to replace the liner anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Skimmer question

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Ideally they should be the same height but ½" isn't bad. You want the water level to be 2/3rd's to 3/4th's the way up the skimmer face plate and since your's aren't the same level I use the higher one as the measure.

On an inground pool (or any pool for that matter) it's not an easy task to raise a skimmer. If you do want to do it you should wait till you have to replace the liner anyway.
    Thanks. Yes i added my water to 3/4 way up to the skimmer box.
    - NY Albany ~27000 water
    - In ground Vinyl 18' X 40' X 8' Deep Curved Roman End
    - Pentiar TA 60 Sand Filter
    - Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP Energy Efficient Full-Rated 2-Speed
    - 250K BTU Nat/Elec. Heater