Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Bubbles in Return Line

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Bubbles in Return Line

I have air bubbles in the return line to the pool. There are no air bubbles in the skimmer at the pump. There are no visible leaks anywhere. I took apart the top valve and cleaned it and soaped all the o-rings. put it back on and No bubbles. Today I cleaned and vacuumed the pool, backwashed the filtier, and no have air bubbles again. I took the valve apart again, cleaned and soaped it but this time did not fix the problem. My guess is that it is time for a new top valve. All chemical levels are good and otherwise the water is clear. Just hazy from air bubbles.
    16' x 40' Viking Caribbean fiberglass pool~Maya Diamond Series color~TA100 Sand Filter~Max-E-Pro 1 HP Pump~Aquarite T-15 Salt Water Chloinator System~PAL-2000 L.E.D. Lighting (six colors-synchronized) x 3 with remote control~Build comes with 4' Decking all around and 16" coping. Two tone color stamped and sealed. Colors TBD.~Yomba-6 Sapphire perimeter tile~Baraccuda MX8~Our builder is Mark Trammell of Swim Sea Breeze out of Oklahoma City, OK (http://www.swimseabreeze.com)~My build link: 16x40-viking-caribbean-build-by-sea-breeze-okc-t38255.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air Bubbles in Return Line

Your valve is unlikely the source of your bubbles. Air can only get into the lines before the pump since the water after the pump is under pressure. Do you have an SWCG?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

No SWG, When the pump is off there are no visible leaks in any exposed lines prior to the pump. Lines are buried at least 18 inches and under concrete.
    16' x 40' Viking Caribbean fiberglass pool~Maya Diamond Series color~TA100 Sand Filter~Max-E-Pro 1 HP Pump~Aquarite T-15 Salt Water Chloinator System~PAL-2000 L.E.D. Lighting (six colors-synchronized) x 3 with remote control~Build comes with 4' Decking all around and 16" coping. Two tone color stamped and sealed. Colors TBD.~Yomba-6 Sapphire perimeter tile~Baraccuda MX8~Our builder is Mark Trammell of Swim Sea Breeze out of Oklahoma City, OK (http://www.swimseabreeze.com)~My build link: 16x40-viking-caribbean-build-by-sea-breeze-okc-t38255.html

4. Back To Top    #4

A suction side leak pulls air into the system rather than forcing water out. Therefore, you won't be able to see the leak.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I will check the lines the best I can and replace any ones that look matginal. The air bubbles do come and go for no apparent reason.

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a solar heater that is fairly high. If so you might have a small leak in one of the lines above pool level

Took me over month to figureout and find mine as it diddnt let water out but sucked air in through a joint that was glued but not primed
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator