chlorine drop

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
Hi everyone. I have a question I hope one of you can help me with. I am very diligent about dosing my pool eveynight and have never let the chlorine drop below the recommended level for my cya, which ranges about 40-45. I tested this morning and it was about 5.5, so I bumped it up to 7.5 this afternoon, because I knew my daughter and her friend would be in there for a bit. When I tested it again after sunset it was down to 4 but had a CC of 1. I know neither teenager had on any oils or tanning lotion or anything so that wouldn't be the cause. We have been having extremely hot temps for ths area, being close to 100 and above for the past week and a half, so I don' know if that would be the cause for the CC's or not.

I went ahead and started the shock process and bumped my chlorine up to 20, this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks this has happened. I attributed the first time to the massive storm we had roll through the arealast week, but now I'm not real sure what is going on.

I guess I'm just wondering if it is the extreme heat causing this or what. I dose every night around 8:30 pm to be ready for the next day and I test every night and re-dose. I'm not understanding how it can be perfect all week and then boom, at the end of the week severe drop in chlorine and CC's. Any ideas on what might be going on?

Here are my numbers as of this evening:
FC 21
CC .5
TC 21.5
ph 7.5
TA 140
CYA 40-45-ish

Thanks much for your input.

A slight rise in CC level is not uncommon after swimming. It could be the the high heat also is adding to your CC. In the future just raise your FC up to the top of your normal range and test in a couples hours to see if the CC is gone. Since you already brought it to shock level, it is fine, it is likely you will pass the OCLT tonight.

OK, Thanks. I'm probably just being paranoid, because, I have never had an algae outbreak since I started this method. The water has remained crystal clear and sparkily, but the CC's were throwing me off. The water is soo warm right now, it's like bathwater, not even refreshing at this point...lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.