Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is 1 Backwash Sometimes Not Enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is 1 Backwash Sometimes Not Enough?

Hey folks,

I'm new to Sand Filters. Just got a new 350 lb one, which has been in service 1 week cleaning a very dirty pool. The first time I turned it on the PSI was around 9, give or take 1. The first couple of times I backwashed, it brought the pressure back down to 10 psi. But now when I backwash, it only drops to 12 psi when it's done. My procedure has been backwash for 2 minutes, then rinse for 30 seconds. Should I repeat the procedure if it doesn't bring it down to 10?

Thanks
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is 1 Backwash Sometimes Not Enough?

I backwash mine until the water in the sightglass is clear and has most of the black particles out of it, then rinse (30 sec - 1 minute), then do another 1-2 minute wash, followed by another rinse, then back to normal filter mode. Usually I don't do the second wash / rinse and let it go at once if it didn't take very long to get clear. But I really use the sightglass for Determining when to quit washing, and not time per se.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I use time. 1 min backwash, turn pump off for 1 min, repeat 2 more times, rinse for 30 seconds, pump off for 30 seconds, then back to filter.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

I also use the sight glass, I backwash until it is totally clear. Then rinse until clear. Using time may not always get your filter clean, or in some cases will be overkill IMO.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I believe back washing multiple times will help loosen up stubborn or heavy debris from the sanded. I think it's mostly the jostling of the water inside the tank when moving from backwash to rinse over and over that can break something stubborn free. I could be totally wrong just my theory
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

I wish I had a rinse function my old filter did. but my new -crappy - used one I got for 25 bux doesn't... will be getting a new one this winder. (i hope)
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by topher
    I wish I had a rinse function my old filter did. but my new -crappy - used one I got for 25 bux doesn't... will be getting a new one this winder. (i hope)

not that big of a deal, rinse is just filter to waste
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the info everyone!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

9. Back To Top    #9

So I backwashed a second time. So that's a total of 4 minutes plus 1 minute of rinsing. Remained at 12 PSI. Guess 12 PSI is my new base point. Maybe 10 was just because it was brand new sand or something.

10. Back To Top    #10

Only other thing I can think of that the change might be due to is less resistance to flow in your supply line, or more resistance to flow in your return line now.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah, no clue here. I switched it to recirculate and on recirculate it drops to 10 psi.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

If you only have a 2 psi difference from recirc to filter then I'd say your okay.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com