Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing a Slide

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing a Slide

Hey folks,

I plumbed in my slide so that I wouldn't have to deal with a garden hose anymore. When I turned it on though, I was only getting a trickle of water coming out, despite having great water flow in my pool.

I see 2 potential problem points so wanted to see what you guys think is more likely the culprit.

1) The 1/4" tubing starts by my equipment and goes through 100' of 1/4" tubing before getting to the slide. Would I be better off using 3/4" for the 100' and then switching to 1/4" by the slide?

2) The T that I used to plumb in the slide has the 1/4" tubing coming out the right side. See below:
    | |
    | |___
    |..___
    | |
    | |
    I figured the pressure would be enough that it wouldn't matter, but do I need to replumb it so that the T is facing down? Like this:
    _________
    ___...____
    ....| |

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Plumbing a Slide

you could plumb a valve past the T for the slide to force the water to look for a path of least resistance (your 1/4" slide). I just wouldn't close that valve all the way. ( a gate valve is good at slowly closing)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

The direction of the T does not matter. You problem is the 100' of 1/4" tubing which has a LOT of head loss. If you can use a larger pipe to the slide and then switch to 1/4", I think you will do better, but you still may need to add a valve after the T to better force the water through the smaller pipe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I do actually have a valve past the T but it's a jandy valve, so full on or full off. I can easily test out the larger tube line though. Might cost a bit to test, but if it does the trick I'll be happy.

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

5. Back To Top    #5

Jandy valves are not just full on/off. Just do not turn out all the way. A picture could help confirm though.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!