Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming issue

This has to be a newbie question, hoping for some tips and tricks so I won't pull my hair out! I was manually vacuuming today and when I was done had my DH turn the pump off so I could disconnect the hose. I was horrified when all the "stuff" came floating back at me. Hello, I sucked those ants and spiders up for a reason!

Our vac plate has to be inserted on the outside into the skimmer and we're putting it on top of the skimmer basket. The Weir Door has to lay out or it won't fit. I hope that makes sense. I have to be missing something because otherwise what is the point if it's all going to come back at me!!

30' ABG with a single return/skimmer.
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

2. Back To Top    #2

Mesa Arizona

Re: Vacuuming issue

Take out and clean the skimmer basket before you turn off the pump? Would that work?
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

If yours is like mine---the vac plate is worthless. Try sticking the hose straight into the skimmer hole. This means removing the skimmer basket AND the weir door. I get a lot better suction. Of course I dip net out any big stuff first.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did stick it directly in for the auto-vac, couldn't get it to work otherwise but hubby was concerned about all that stuff going in the filter. We're just talking bugs and spiders and stuff, I'm guessing that's what the filter is for Perhaps I'll give that a try next time. It was so frustrating to see it all come back at me!
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

5. Back To Top    #5

Clearwater, FL.

I had the same problem. Cannot pull off that plate, way to much suction.
    The vacuum plate works very well for me too, but when I'm done and ready to take it apart I flip the pump to low speed and I can pop of the lid/plate very easy and all the junk stays in the basket, then pull and dump basket as normal.

Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

I got a Pentair leaf trap this year. See

I'm surprised at all the benefits I'm getting out of it. Besides trapping big debris, like leaves, it also traps a surprising amount of sand & silt. It traps all those spiders & bugs you mentioned before they get to the filter. Also, before I got this thing, I always had to vac to waste, otherwise some of that sand/silt/dust I vacuumed would get right back into the pool. This year, I'm vacuuming on filter and not getting that "blowback."

Maybe this kind of gadget would help the OP's vac troubles.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.