Greetings from Long Island!

Hi fellas (and ladies), my name's Matt.

Found this place after doing some research online about maintaining my girlfriends parents pool...they are on vacation for 4-5 days and left me in charge of keeping up with it!

After reading Pool School and doing a lot of browsing, Ive become to realize that he has been maintaining the pool in all the wrong ways! Every year the pool gets drained out (bad bad idea for a vinyl pool) and it has 4-5 patches in the bottom already from tearing around the sides. The water level got very low over the winter, and the resultant snow pulled the top in as well as one of the weights holding it down. The weight (made out of iron) ended up sitting in the bottom of the pool for 5 months, leaving an awful rust stain on the liner which I think is attributing to the green issue that is starting to occur (water is crystal clear, but has a green tint to it). I have a feeling next year we will be replacing the liner and I plan to take charge from then on out!

He also instructed me to shock the pool with green-out every two days and always keep two chlorine pucks in the floater, which I think have been causing me more grief than harm. He only has the little 3 puck test strip kit (which has done nothing other than tell me my FC levels are out of this world lol). Just replaced the pressure gauge on the filter as well, been busted for about 3 years now, and I didnt realize how important it can be.

First on the list is a Taylor test kit, If im going to be maintaining it and spending my own money might as well do it the right way :). My ph levels were extremely low (down in the 4-5 region), as well as TA (pretty much was 0). Ive slowly increased the levels, im about 6.9-7.0 ph wise and about 60ppm on the TA. Been checking every 2 hours, and the pump has been running over the past 24hrs just to make sure things are dispersed evenly.

sorry for the long first post, just your neighborhood friendly guy :) Hopefully when I get my own house I can afford to do my own pool and enjoy it without having to go through the headaches of this one!

A little update, continued to add 8oz of ph up and alky up, and the readings have returned to normal! FC is still wayy off the scale, hopefully I can figure out how to clean it up within the next week (maybe some Jacks Magic will help). The humidity and the rain have been hampering my efforts :-/

A little bump back from the dead, but we drained the pool after Sandy last fall to make several repairs to the liner. We got very lucky, two trees falling but away from the pool, and three huge branches came down missing the pool by a few feet if that. Unfortunatley destroyed the gazebo and smashed a glass table to bits (spent quite some time with the chainsaw out in the cold, we were out of power for about 10 days).

After some massive cleaning out this spring, the pool is back up and running with no leaks! We started out with the right ph and alky levels so far and its been crystal clear since day one :) Still need to get a legit test kit and was looking at revamping our pump setup to a quieter one and a more solid foundation, but the loss of my job has me putting a few things on hold for the moment.

Sounds like you're getting back on track, pool is up and running, any upgrades can wait. I got laid off too, after over 15 yrs of working in the same place and I've had to prioritize a few things in my life too. Enjoy your pool for now, things will fall back into place slowly. Good to hear from you my Long Island friend!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support