Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do i need?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do i need?

Well we are moved into our new to us home. Love having a pool, but the previous owners left no pool items. I bought a pole and a leaf bag/catcher and a nylon brush. I know a vacuum is what we need but I have no clue what I need to get. Is it just a hose with a vacuum attachment or something more? Test kit is on its way! Is the vacuum something I can get at the pool store if I tell them what i have?
    16x32 Grecian IG vinyl pool Hayward filter swg 28000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What do i need?

Welcome to the forum.
    Is it just a hose with a vacuum attachment or something more?
    It can be as simple as a hose and vacuum head or it can be a whole lot more complex.

You certainly need something to get the dirt out of your pool. Because you're learning, I would suggest you make the minimum investment and get the hose and vacuum head....either at a pool store (don't let them sell you anything else) or online.

It is easy to use and will always have some use even if you upgrade to the autovacs that are available. There is an article in Pool School about autovacs.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

we are going to go tomorrow and get a vacuum and a hose. I see in the video's online they show a plate (?) that fits into the skimmer box when using the hose. is this something i can replace at the pool store as I have no clue what brand that is? I should be happy it is brand new liner and SWG. Now if I only could figure out how long to run the filter as right now it is running 24/7. Not going to like our first electric bill I imagine.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Cut your run time to 12 hours daily. If the pool is too dirty after a while, increase it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I turned it off for the night, the timer is shot we will have to find out how hard it is to replace. I can not wait to get my test kit and really get to know the pool..