Requesting help with CYA reading

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hello everyone,
I set up my pool exactly 2 weeks ago - 8000 gallons. Added 63 ounces of stabilizer expecting it to raise my CYA to 60. My reading a week ago indicated a level between 30 and 40. Today's reading shows close to 30. Have I miscalculated what 63 ounces should do to my pool? Thanks for any advice you may offer. Here is the stabilizer I used.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...~0813393P/Pool+Water+Stabilizer.jsp?locale=en

GC

The bottle does not list a strength. It does not give any useful information on the bottle. It does not even mention CYA anywhere. I assumed it was CYA. It must be or I would not get a reading at all I assume. I did not realize it could be weaker. I assumed CYA was CYA. I assumed stabilizer was CYA. I will take another reading to be certain.

Do you folks think I should trust this reading? Or s it possible I have weak CYA? I am fine with the 30 ppm if I know I can trust it. i just don't want to add and find out later that I have to much CYA. Is it possible the reagent is bad? I purchased it in August of last year.

Trust the test.

Even though it is a little old, that reagent is inert and should give you a valid result unless you have compromised by storing it in heat or cold.

I have never seen a package of CYA that doesn't list the ingredients but it sounds like you got one.....I'd purchase another brand, calculate to raise CYA by 20ppm, and then test.

UPDATE:
Just wanted to post this update. I found some information on the container (in about a 1 point font!!) for this CYA which tells me to add 300 grams to 10,000 liters of water to raise CYA by 30 ppm. Sorry for the metric but I'm in Canada! If my math is correct, then my CYA level should be at 90 after adding 2,700 grams. But it is at 50, indicating a weak batch of CYA. You guys were dead on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.