Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pollen or Mustard Algae??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pollen or Mustard Algae??

Last night we had a major storm here in eastern Pennsylvania. After cleaning the debris out of the pool, I adjusted the chlorine as usual with bleach and began brushing the walls and floor of the pool. When i finished I took the brush head off of the pole and upon doing so noticed something yellow on my hands that I could not get off easily. It looked like iodine the way it stained my fingers. It is also on the brush. My first thought was, "oh no, is this mustard algae?" There were a ton of leaves and small branches in my pool so I am hoping that maybe this is just pollen. Would mustard algae stain like this? My water is very clear and balanced properly. I took pictures of the brush but the files are too large to post apparently.
    FC 5
    CC 0
    pH 7.8
    TA 90
    CYA 50
    21' round x 3' Vinyl AG 8300Gal, Waterway 1.5HP pump, Waterway 100# Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pollen or Mustard Algae??

Is the material showing up on the walls mainly in the shade? That is the most common sign of mustard algae.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pollen or Mustard Algae??

I'm unsure where it was located in the pool because I only noticed it on the brush when I was finished. I am unable to see it on the walls or bottom anywhere so I am pretty sure it was pollen and was filtered out. If I notice it again I will update. Thanks for the help.
    21' round x 3' Vinyl AG 8300Gal, Waterway 1.5HP pump, Waterway 100# Sand filter