Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Single Return Mods - Return + Fountain

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Single Return Mods - Return + Fountain

Over in this thread a discussion sprang up about PVC fountains and modifying returns and such. I'd asked for (and received!) some advice and information, and said I'd share the results in their own thread.

My intent was to add a cooling spray fountain to my return, but keep the functionality of the single return jet pointing to the side to maintain circulation in the pool.

Yesterday, then, I "prototyped" with some 3/4" PVC I had around, and tried a contraption that had the fountain off to one side and the jet the other. While this "worked", the long "spray bar" put unwanted twisting pressure on the main body of the unit, which resulted in various straps and braces being necessary. It proved the 'concept", but wasn't at all suited for longer term use.

Today, then, I went to Lowe's, and acquired the necessary stuff to make a more permanent solution from 1" PVC.

I removed the return eye and its ring, and then using a pair of needle-nose pliers to grip the slots inside of it, I removed the 1.5" adapter.

The adapter was replaced with a standard schedule 40 1.5" PVC Male Adapter, into which was inserted a 1.5" - 1" Bushing. Out of the bushing comes a Side-Outlet Elbow.

From the side exit is a 45* elbow, and a ball valve, functioning as the return jet for normal operation.

From the "up" exit is a ball valve, a T, and 2 1' long pieces of PVC, each drilled with 5/32" holes every 1/2", starting 1.5" from each end. The ends are capped with simple slide on caps.

We get a good 6-8' arc of spray about 10-12' out into the pool.

This unit proved to be much more stable and "accurate", with much less wobble, due to all the forces being located closer to the attachment point.

Temp at 1:00pm, when i started the unit up, was right at 90*.

I'll check every hour, with a final check this evening, to get an idea of how much and how quickly it cools things down.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Single Return Mods - Return + Fountain

Those will cool down the pool MUCH more effectively after sun is off the pool and cooler night temps. I can drop mine about 4 degrees in 3.5 hours.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, yeah. *heh* Not terribly surprising that it's easier to cool water when it's cool than when it's hot.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

At 3, it's down almost a degree...so, half a degree an hour, give or take...in 100+ degree weather. I'll take it.

As woody suggested, I'm planning on running it at night tonight, to see what it can do then.
    -Gordon

5. Back To Top    #5

Results after dark are awfully promising. 2 hours of run time saw a 3 degree drop in pool temp. We did some swimming as well, and the spray was definitely cooler than the water by several degrees.
    -Gordon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Results after dark are awfully promising. 2 hours of run time saw a 3 degree drop in pool temp. We did some swimming as well, and the spray was definitely cooler than the water by several degrees.

How big are the holes in your fountain pipe if you dont mind me asking ?

Thanks
    13k Gal all resin St tropez ABG
    Clean and Clear Pentair filter
    1hp 2 speed hayward matrix pump
    CompuPool CPSC36 SWG
    Build 7/15/12

7. Back To Top    #7

5/32"
    -Gordon

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi gboulton

I am mailing from South Africa and found this thread on the internet regarding the PVC Swimming Pool Fountain. Is there any way I can communicate with you on this particular design via email or such? I read your post here, but is not entirely sure where to start, you will have to spoon feed me. I am not sure that we have all these connections in South Africa, but I am sure with your advice and assistance I will be able to work something out, that is if you are willing to teach and advise.

Please do let me know!! Thank you