Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA....do I need to lower it?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA....do I need to lower it?

So I converted from baqua to BBB. My TA has been high since I first tested (~300ppm). So the question is...do I really need to lower it? Or only if my pH drifts too fast for me?

Thanks,

18ft Round Intex Metal Frame, 7000gal, 3/4HP pump, 100lb sand filter, TF-100 Test Kit, through the wall skimmer, Baqua convert...now BBB all the way. :)

Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), Weber One Touch gold. (I love smoky meat) :) Saving my $$ for a Big Green Egg.

Things I use daily:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA....do I need to lower it?

doc.mosi:

If your pH is rising too quickly and is consistently rising above 7.8 (considered the top of the ideal pH range) to the point that it is difficult to manage, then I would consider lowering TA.

Here is a Pool School article explaining this in more detail: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...l%20alkalinity
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply....I've read that pool school article...just looking to make sure there wasn't some other reason to lower the TA. Recently my pH has been fairly stable. Right now my pH it has been rising, but I attribute that to the fact that I've been aerating. I'm gonna stop aerating and if the pH is still stable, I'm letting it be...unless some else has a compelling reason to lower it.
    18ft Round Intex Metal Frame, 7000gal, 3/4HP pump, 100lb sand filter, TF-100 Test Kit, through the wall skimmer, Baqua convert...now BBB all the way. :)

Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), Weber One Touch gold. (I love smoky meat) :) Saving my $$ for a Big Green Egg.

Things I use daily:

4. Back To Top    #4

The other reason to avoid high TA is when your CH level is also high. If both are high at the same time you can get calcium scaling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

JasonLion,

Is that a concern with a vinyl AGP? I haven't tested CH at all, thinking it did not matter with vinyl AGP.

Things I use daily:

6. Back To Top    #6

yes high CH can result in scaling in any pool. Low CH does not matter in a vinyl pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Guess I'll be checking CH tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Things I use daily: