Stuck at Almost Clear, Need Some Help Please

vandan

Jul 8, 2012
Shavertown, PA
Hi gang, I'm new to this sight and have been doing a lot of reading on the site and learned a lot, however this is my problem.

My pool is an inground 16x32 about 20,000 gal. water.

We just couldn't get it clear with chemicals, to make a long story short. I read a lot on this site. The bottom had a lot of leaves and dirt which i finally think i got all of them yesterday, between the leaf rake and I also used the leaf vac/bagger that attaches to your garden hose. That worked great. I added 10lbs. Cal hypo 68% shock, and today its a lot better but not clear. I still cant see the bottom. But it looks like it wants to clear. Its a slight green/cloudy.

I took a water sample to the pool store today and they said not to add anything else, and just let the filter run and vacuum it. I still cant see the bottom i told them. He said it didn't matter :? From what i read/understand, your not to vacuum the pool unless you can see the bottom.

These are his results:

FC: 10.96
Ph: 7.8
Alkalinity: 118
Stabalizer: 2 (is this CYA?)
Calcium:280

I thought i should be keeping the FC level at around 30 for shock level until it turns. Is this right?

Should i add more shock to get the FC up to shock level till clear or just leave it alone and vac like he said?,

Thanks Guys, your forum rocks,

Van

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Well, if the pool store's test result of 2 for stabilizer is accurate, then you would be at shock value already.

The problem is there is no way you can put any trust in that CYA test. CYA is measurable @ 20ppm at the lowest and 100ppm at the highest but not detectable @ 2ppm. It's a bogus test result and the other results may be, also.

You have started to shock the pool but have not completed it...it may take a few more days.

Testing yourself is really the only way to get credibility into your results. We can guess what to do along with you, but it is simply guesswork without good results.

I forgot to mention the filter is a Sand Filter, and the water is Regular, Not Salt. Not sure if this matters, but I want to give you as much information as possible.

One thing i missed on the bottom of the readout was the Phosphate level says 500 ppb,

Thank you again,

Vandan

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Well, if the pool store's test result of 2 for stabilizer is accurate, then you would be at shock value already.

The problem is there is no way you can put any trust in that CYA test. CYA is measurable @ 20ppm at the lowest and 100ppm at the highest but not detectable @ 2ppm. It's a bogus test result and the other results may be, also.

You have started to shock the pool but have not completed it...it may take a few more days.

Testing yourself is really the only way to get credibility into your results. We can guess what to do along with you, but it is simply guesswork without good results.

I see. I do plan on buying the test kit that you guys recommend. The TF-100. I just need to get a few more dollars together.

Dave has you covered, but wanted to add that the not vacuuming if you can't see the bottom is bogus.

Vacuum when you want. If you have a leaf trap, then there is little risk to sucking up something that could get stuck in the plumbing.

Get the kit, best investment you can make to controlling your pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Ok, Test Kit came today. TF 100.

FC: 10.5
CC: 5.5
TC: 16.0
PH: 8.0
TA: 140
CH: 180
CYA: ?? Tube was filled and still could see the black dot. So it's below 20. Pool Store test a few days ago said it was "2". Don't know what test they use to get a reading that low.

Anyway, the pool just turned a blueish color today. I add 6, 1lbs. bags of cal hypo 68% shock last night and tested tonight, 24 hrs. It's at shock level which is good cause it was mad green. I'll probably keep it at shock level for another day or so than start bringing it down, this ok?

I still cant see the bottom, it's like a cloudy blue color.

What should i start adjusting first after the FC level comes down, or now, dunno? Get the cya up? TA a bit lower, CH a bit higher.

What would you recommend for an adjusting process/first to last?

Cheers,

Van

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.