Wiring for the intelliflo vs and the easytouch

Jul 8, 2012
I am confused about the wiring for the intelliflo vs and the easytouch panel. The easytouch panel has a circuit/relay for the pump. The intelliflo manual says on page 31, "continuous power must be supplied to the pump by connecting it directly to the circuit breaker".

So does it connect to the easytouch "pump" relay or do I bypass the easytouch panel and wire it directly to the circuit breaker in the easytouch box?

Re: Easy Touch, Intelliflo, and IC40

Do the IntellifloVS pump RS485 and the Indoor Control panel, both get connect to eh one EasyTouch comport (J20)?

Or do they need separate comports? If so do you know where I can find the wiring for the 6 pin rj45 comport connector on the easytouch control panel?

Is this were I need the Serial COM Port Expansion Board?

I apologize for my ignorance, the pentair manuals really do not provide instructions for the wiring.

You can simply wire all the com ports to the one connector on the main board. However, it is often simpler to use the expansion board, which simply gives you several places to wire to so things are more spread out and easier to deal with.

Hi Jason, I appreciate the answer(s). I finally found a pentair document that almost explained the com port issue, so that makes sense. The expansion board makes even more sense.

I am still a bit confused about the wiring directly to the circuit breaker. I have not found any pictures that show how to do this. All the pix/diagrams that I have found imply the intellifo is wired to the filter pump relay.

Is there a diagram somewhere that shows how it should be wired? If not, I'll figure it out. Its just that a diagram would be worth a 1000 or maybe even 2000 words.

Thank you again.

With EZ-touch, the intelliflow pump is controlled by the RS485 communications port, hence wiring the intelliflow pump to the circuit breaker, instead of a pump relay.

If it were a single speed conventional pump, the pump would be wired to the pump relay instead, as conventional pumps have no internal "intelligence"

Having just wired an Intelliflo VS to an EasyTouch, I had the same question because the literature does imply that the pump needs to be wired to the Filter Pump relay. This is not the case with the Intelliflo. I ran a 40A 220V line (8 gauge copper) to the EasyTouch panel, installed GFCI breakers for my two pumps, lights and the EasyTouch itself (2 x 220V/20A for pumps, 1 x 15A 120V for the EasyTouch, 1 x 20A 120V for pool lighting). One of the 220V 20A breakers powers the main filter pump, so the wires from the pump go directly to that breaker's line terminals (the breaker's neutral terminates at the neutral strip). I also ran separate line wires from that breaker to the Filter Pump relay, as those are wired to the gas heater and to the IntelliChlor transformer in the unit. Why is this? Both the heater and the IntelliChlor are not supposed to come on unless the filter pump is on. So, in this manner, these two accessories only come on when the main pump is activated. This seems to work fine so far, and it saves on purchasing separate GFCI breakers which are expensive in the 2P/220V variety.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the answers and help.

I got everything working! I wired the intelliflo vs pump and the screen logic protocol box to the "same" connectors. The first time that I did the wiring, the 22 gauge wire for the screenlogic box apparently slipped and the box was not working! This caused me to think that I had something wrong. A picture showing the pump and a controller pad (or screenlogic unit) wired together would be very nice. Maybe I'll take a picture of my "hack" job and upload it.

The one item remaining, is that my wife threw away the EZ touch panel cover. I brought the original control panel into the house and said it could go. So she went to the pool shed and picked up the other panel as well and tossed it as well. Now I need to find a replacement.

doggrunner said:
I just wanted to thank everyone for the answers and help.

The one item remaining, is that my wife threw away the EZ touch panel cover. I brought the original control panel into the house and said it could go. So she went to the pool shed and picked up the other panel as well and tossed it as well. Now I need to find a replacement.

Are you referring to the metal piece that fits over the high voltage side of the unit? If so, I believe this is the correct part:

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-57370- ... 7-143.aspx

Also, note that the circuit breaker configurations have changed from before, so you should check your configuration before ordering from them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.