Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for run capacitor source

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Looking for run capacitor source

I have a Pentair 1HP Whisperflo main pump with a bad capacitor. I pulled the capacitor from my working water feature pump and put it in the main pump with great success. The pump appears to use an A.O. Smith motor and has a 30uF (6%) 370VAC run capacitor (oil filled). LPS doesn't carry them. The model is a CSC 628318-308. Does anyone have a good (ie - non-price gouging) online source or a Houston, TX source for motor capacitors?

Should I upgrade capacitor to a higher farad or higher voltage model?

Thanks, Alex
    15,000 gallon gunite/aggregate pool with attached spa. Pentair system with Easytouch, 1hp WhisperFlo, FNS DE filter, gas heater, Legend Platinum cleaner, IC40 SWCG, IntellipH acid feeder. Two additional 1.5hp WhisperFlo pumps for additional spa jets and 3 water features.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Looking for run capacitor source carries them.

Don't change capacitance or voltage. It probably won't work if the capacitance changes, and there is no benefit to going up in voltage.

ETA: Just checked and poolcenter is out of stock. The part number is RD-50-370
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Darlington, SC

Re: Looking for run capacitor source

Check local AC supply houses--these are fairly common .. You can also ways use a higher voltage cap if needed -- the uf needs to stay the same..
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Pool Rover -- Poolskim --
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

4. Back To Top    #4

New Jersey

On-line or store, this place has just about everything.

Maybe this one?
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Long Island, NY

Why does the uf need to stay the same? With air conditioner's you add capicatance (hard start) when they have issues starting.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: 1.5 HP Super Pump w/ 1.5 EcoTech VS Motor
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820