Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Chlorine

I just finished filling my Intex 16x48 seasonal pool on Friday, and we used the pool last night. I want to make sure that my water is sanitized but I won't be getting a test kit until Monday. Would it be fair to assume that I don't have a chlorine level and I could base my calculations off a 0% chlorine level in 4400 gallons of water.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool - Chlorine

Pretty much, although if you filled with municipal water you may have a little (1-2ppm or so)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I did fill it with municipal water. I noticed that when I got water in my nose it burnt pretty bad... not sure if that's from chlorine...probably pH?

I know I probably shouldn't be assuming anything but again... I won't have my test kit until Monday. However, if I assume I have a 2ppm chlorine level right now I should be able to calculate the amount of bleach needed to raise the level to 6ppm.

Does this sound right?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Does this sound right?
    Absolutely
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks.. just wanted to make sure...

I think I estimated the amount of water incorrectly. My pool holds just over 5000 at 90% and it's probably a little low. I am going to calculate based on 4900 gallons of water. So with 4900 gallons of water and 2ppm of FC my pool requires 41oz of 6% bleach to achieve 6ppm of FC.