Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto Cover rails dropping metal shavings into pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto Cover rails dropping metal shavings into pool!

When vacuuming pool two weeks ago, found dozens of tiny metal shavings within bag (almost like tiny strands of solder). Interviewed kids...could not find source. Wife found more the next weekend. I finally inspected all around the pool and found one part of the auto cover rails that looked like it had a metal piece peeling away from edge. There were shavings right underneath in water. Gotcha. I cut off the piece that was extending slightly out over pool and vacuumed pool again. Called pool cover company....they are sending someone out next week. Anyone else ever see this? Is this something that one normally has to monitor as pool cover ages? Ours is only 6 months old...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto Cover rails dropping metal shavings into pool!

During instillation of our cover, the top rail has mounting holes that needed to be drilled. Because our aluminum rail sits on a wooden deck, there are gaps below each deckboard’s joint. When cleaning the deck with a hose, I saw that I was washing out metal shavings (I think smaller than that). I am sure it was where they drilled the holes. In a normal instillation, the shavings would be trapped below the rail and concrete. However, in our case, there are small gaps to allow those shavings to wash out. I used the hose to wash them out the other direction so they didn’t get into the pool.

Do you think this is what you might have?
    ............................................................ ........................
    Kayak Pool - 12 ft. x 24 ft. rectangular, 5½ ft. deep end
    Frog System, Sta-Rite-Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Pentair 1 H.P. pump
    AquaPRO Pro500 heat pump & Automatic AutoGuard™ Pool safety cover
    ............................................................ ........................

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually, what I am guessing is that the metal on one side of the rails weakened and the top most portion of the rail that supports the cover splintered somewhat and everytime the cover opens/closes it shaves a bit more off... I believe this because the rail looked slightly lower in this section and I had to twist off a tiny shard of metal from the top....but perhaps I'm misunderstanding...we'll find out when the pool cover guys get here. I'd be happy to find out that it was just an installation issue rather than something to watch out for the next many years.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool cover people came out and comfirmed the issue - they are going to replace the rails on one side of the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, the pool cover guys didn't replace the rails -- they think the issue was that the metal bracket on the top of the cover that connects the rope to the end was rubbing against the concrete coping. Easy test fix was to move the bracket underneath the cover.