Swimming Pool Lights Timer

Jul 8, 2012
The electrical will be done within a week, pool builder looked puzzled when I asked for a timer for my pool lights, all I need is a timer which turns the pool lights on and off at a certain time without having to install a $400 panel, am I way off or the builder just being lazy?

I think my reasoning is simple (this is my first pool!) all my landscaping lights go on with a timer, since my pool lights will be LED and not that much of a power hog, think it be nice to have them one when the rest of the lights go on for a couple of hours,,,,

I replaced the switch that controls my pool lights with an X10 switch (the kind that doesn't dim). It can go on and off on a timed scheduled controlled by my desktop PC or manually by a switchbox next to my living room window that does all the outdoor lights. All the controls cost about the same as an Intermatic timer (excluding the PC), and was a lot easier to install.

I had the same issue. I did not go with automation. I just wanted a simple way for the lights to come on at dusk and stay on for a certain amount of time. Seems simple. There are many products that do this for $20 or less.
http://www.truevalue.com/product/El.../c/62/sc/555/22319.uts?refineByCategoryId=555

I had the PB hard wire the load source for the pool and spa lights to the above sensor. Works great!!!

So the schematic is Power Load -> timer sensor -> master switch. The master switch then feeds to two switches. One for the spa and one for the two lights in the pool. This allows me to have all on...or pool on....or spa on.

At dusk, the lights come on to the first light show of the Intelibrite 5G. If someone wants a different show, they just flip the master a couple of times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.