Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming Pool Lights Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming Pool Lights Timer

The electrical will be done within a week, pool builder looked puzzled when I asked for a timer for my pool lights, all I need is a timer which turns the pool lights on and off at a certain time without having to install a $400 panel, am I way off or the builder just being lazy?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming Pool Lights Timer

Welcome to TFP!

I think that would be a good idea. Not common, but there is good reason for it I think.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think my reasoning is simple (this is my first pool!) all my landscaping lights go on with a timer, since my pool lights will be LED and not that much of a power hog, think it be nice to have them one when the rest of the lights go on for a couple of hours,,,,

4. Back To Top    #4

I use a timer on mine, so your not the only one!
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

5. Back To Top    #5

I simple outdoor timer made by Intermatic and sold at Lowe's will do the trick. Sounds like a good idea too me!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

The on/off switch for my pool is outside...so I replaced it with a Photocell sensor so it comes on automatically at dusk and turns off in the AM as well.
    Brian, Richardson TX. 25K Plaster Pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Booster Pump, 325 sq ft Cart Filter. This is my 3rd pool to convert to BBB method.

7. Back To Top    #7

duplicate, sorry.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

I replaced the switch that controls my pool lights with an X10 switch (the kind that doesn't dim). It can go on and off on a timed scheduled controlled by my desktop PC or manually by a switchbox next to my living room window that does all the outdoor lights. All the controls cost about the same as an Intermatic timer (excluding the PC), and was a lot easier to install.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had the same issue. I did not go with automation. I just wanted a simple way for the lights to come on at dusk and stay on for a certain amount of time. Seems simple. There are many products that do this for $20 or less.
    http://www.truevalue.com/product/Ele...CategoryId=555

I had the PB hard wire the load source for the pool and spa lights to the above sensor. Works great!!!

So the schematic is Power Load -> timer sensor -> master switch. The master switch then feeds to two switches. One for the spa and one for the two lights in the pool. This allows me to have all on...or pool on....or spa on.

At dusk, the lights come on to the first light show of the Intelibrite 5G. If someone wants a different show, they just flip the master a couple of times.
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit