Plumbers putty in substitute for silicone lube

Jul 3, 2012
A recent conversation with the owner of a pristine in ground pool that was the host of a 4th of July cookout and a few tips about pool and filter care. During the conversation he mentioned filter cleaning and rather than applying silicone lube to the O ring to kneed plumbers putty lightly within the filters cavity where the O ring would be secured. Explaining that an amount of silicone lube compressed to within the area inside the filter would have an affect on the filters wands the same as suntanning lotions would over time to block the wands correct flow of water thus resulting in high pressure and the low water output. Is the composite material of the plumbers putty less likely to block the wands in comparison to silicone and avoid a muriatic acid dip? Had to ask since I've used plumbers putty more often and it's less expensive and easier to get at a hardware store than silicone lube.

Also on that note I did find a safer acid recommended for adjusting pool/spa water chemistry and cleaning known as Acid Magic. Safer on the environment. A pdf file is available online.

is that acid safer because it is just weaker like some of the other products on the market?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

jblizzle said:
is that acid safer because it is just weaker like some of the other products on the market?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)
The Acid Magic supposedly works in the same manner as full strength muriatic acid.

The website seems to go to great length to ignore the strength of the acid but simply states. "• Clean, clarify, and etch like full strength 20° Baume, 31.45% muriatic acid." Implying clearly that it is NOT full strength 31.45%.

Leroy_B said:
During the conversation he mentioned filter cleaning and rather than applying silicone lube to the O ring to kneed plumbers putty lightly within the filters cavity where the O ring would be secured. Explaining that an amount of silicone lube compressed to within the area inside the filter would have an affect on the filters wands the same as suntanning lotions would over time to block the wands correct flow of water thus resulting in high pressure and the low water output.
I am assuming you are talking about a cartridge filter? If yes, my experience is that you do not need any silicone lube to seal the filter if the gasket is pliable still. With that said, I believe plumbers putty is petroleum based, so I would avoid it since that may harden/breakdown the rubber seals. If you feel you must use silicone lube, just go light on it and the amount expressed on the outside of the filter that could "plug" the filter, should be minimal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.