Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What needs to be done to pool for leaving it for a week

1. Back To Top    #1

What needs to be done to pool for leaving it for a week

My friend is leaving for a week and has no one to shock his pool for him until the end of the week 1 day before he comes back and I was just wondering what would need to be done to keep the pool from getting green for a week until someone can get some chlorine in it? He is using algaecide. also his pool is a A/G 24 round 48 deep. Thanks
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What needs to be done to pool for leaving it for a week

Your friend needs to add as much water to the pool as he can before he leaves. Add what would be an initial dose of algaecide. Double shock the pool the night before he leaves. What I mean by that is shock the pool, but use double the amount of shock he normally would. If he uses a floater, load it to capacity. If he uses a chlorinator feeder, run it at the maximum setting. Doing all that should insure that his chlorine level stays up, and he won't have to worry about it being too high since nobody will be swimming in the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Take to shock level before leaving and put some pucks in a floater.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I had though about that but the CYA is high now. Its a about 100 I just wonder how much the pucks will make it go up?
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

5. Back To Top    #5

If he's got 100 ppm CYA, then if you raise the FC to 15 ppm or so (or even to 20 ppm) then the chlorine should last through the week unless there's already algae growth. With 100 ppm CYA, the loss from sunlight is around 15% per day so you'll probably end up with around 5 ppm at the end of the week. With the algaecide in the pool, it's unlikely to get algae between that and the chlorine. If you weren't using algaecide, then you could shock the pool to an even higher FC level which would make it more likely to last longer, but with the algaecide you probably don't have to do that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I think Will tell him to fill the pool as full as he can shock it good and put some extra algaecide in. Do you think he should put in tablet in his floater or not? I will be able to go over near the end of the week to shock it for him so hopefully we can stay ahead of it.