In-ground vinyl pool question

Cherie

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
Wylie, Texas
Hello all. Can anyone provide a ballpark figure on what it would cost to repair/replace this pool? It appears to be an in-ground vinyl and that's all I know about it. It's at a house we're sort of, maybe, kinda thinking about making an offer on.

Attachments

• CR540 Pool.JPG
    CR540 Pool.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 523
I'm assuming that the steel walls will have to be replaced as well, with all the rust on them. But the bottom should still be good, shouldn't it? I can tell if it's a cement bottom or the gravel. I'll go research how much an entire new kit would run. Thanks Dave.

If you have to replace the steel walls, then you'll also have to take out the decking and possibly maintenance on the piping. Could easily turn into a complete redo. From what I've read (no real knowledge as my disclaimer :wink: ) you could be looking at a cost in line with a brand new install. Any money/advantage saved with the completed excavation and pool floor would be offset by the cost to remove decking/walls, etc. If the equipment is in good shape (no leaks), you could possibly try to sand out the rust and replace the liner. Best case scenario.

Could you possibly clean up the rust best you can and pain it with a rustoleum to try and save some money ?
And if you did a DIY install, a liner might run you around $1000 to $1500 possibly.

DeeMac said:
Could you possibly clean up the rust best you can and pain it with a rustoleum to try and save some money ?
And if you did a DIY install, a liner might run you around $1000 to $1500 possibly.

I'm not sure if the rust has eaten all the way through on that really bad-looking part (yeh, I know...it's ALL really bad-looking!). But that would be great if it's fixable by sanding and sealing. I thought it might be a matter of just removing the liner, then carefully removing the steel walls and replacing them, then the liner. It stinks too bad, with lots of mesquitos and toads to get down close enough to the edge to really examine it.

How long can it sit like that before the walls cave in? Not sure I'd trust DH and myself to do a liner install either, but might be worth the risk if the liner itself is only around $1000. The steps are still good. The house has been vacant for about eight months, but the pool was already green long before that (full). So I don't know how long it's been empty like that.

Well Cherie...

You know me! I'd totally go for it!

Rust is a good and bad thing. When steel corrodes, it makes a protective oxide coating. We call it rust. This is a good thing! If it weren't for this protective coating, steel would practically corrode away in front of our eyes. The bad thing is, it's rust.

While I can't tell from that picture, it looks like all the rust is up top. That's mostly good as there's very little water pressure up there. I'd look more at the bottom of the walls. But don't let that be a hindrance either. It can be fixed also.

The walls should not have to be removed or replaced. Just repaired. Here's a link to some pictures of repairs that were made to pools that look to be in much worse condition than your (future?) pool.

http://www.kandmpools.com/work.htm

Pay particular attention to "Liner Change 1" and "Renovation 3"

They did not clean any of the rust off. I would've at least cleaned it up, do a rust conversion (You know what that is!), and paint it before putting new steel foil/sheet thingy over it. That will at least slow the rust down a bit. Not much you can do about the rust on the other side of the wall, but remember, if you stick steel in the ground, and unless you're in the Sahara, it's going to rust. <---There's a period there for a reason.

Now you might have leaky pipes. I'd definitely look into Flood Grouting if you do have leaks. Let me Google that for You.

I don't know much about it, nor how well it works. But I'd definitely look into it. Looks WAY cheaper then the dig dig dig, replace option. It looks like it plugs the leak on the outside of the pipe using voodoo black magic of some sorts. You don't even have to drain the pool!

The call to go for it or not, as you well know will ultimately be your's and your DH's. Just remember, and this is coming from an aircraft mechanic, anything can be fixed with enough money and time. :mrgreen:

Just ignore what I said, on second look, that "Liner Change 1" looks like it might be a cement wall pool with a steel sheeting cover over it??

Either way, it might be to your advantage to get a company or two that specializes in pool repair to take a look at it! It might not be as bad as it looks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info, Rob. I'll pull up those links sometime today and have a look. We have competition for the house now, and may not be getting it after all. Funny thing is, it's someone we know from our years in private school - said they didn't mind competing against us! LOL - but not really a laughing matter.

Thanks again and catch ya later...

I would almost bet you could clean that rust up, take a big 'ole piece of sheet metal big enough to reach past one or two uprights, pop-rivet it on, duct tape (Three layers please.) and put your vinyl in.

Isn't there some kind of bead receiver for the liner? Maybe that thing is rusting away, and you're seeing the rust stains from that on the walls!

Closer inspection. More pictures. Just walk in there, take 4 deep breaths, and go for it!

Ooooo! New post while I'm typing! :shock:

Bid LOW!!! If you don't win, it's their headache, and you can laugh at 'em later!

Kias said:
I would almost bet you could clean that rust up, take a big 'ole piece of sheet metal big enough to reach past one or two uprights, pop-rivet it on, duct tape (Three layers please.) and put your vinyl in.

Isn't there some kind of bead receiver for the liner? Maybe that thing is rusting away, and you're seeing the rust stains from that on the walls!

Closer inspection. More pictures. Just walk in there, take 4 deep breaths, and go for it!

Ooooo! New post while I'm typing! :shock:

Bid LOW!!! If you don't win, it's their headache, and you can laugh at 'em later!

LOL, you've had me laughing since you first posted about your "project!" Thanks for the upbeat attitude - including if we lose the house opporunity! Gonna take a minute before guests arrive to look at those links now.

Yeah... That "project" was loads of fun. Something I'll never do again, that's for sure. I'll leave it up to the young whipper snappers! Just like I won't do concrete counters again, or tile a floor, after completely remodeling 2 houses no more dry walling, 4 engine changes in various cars, done. No more. I'm almost done with brake changes, oil changes, light bulb changes. Tired, just tired. So when I re-tire in a couple hundred years I guess I can start doing all that stuff again!

Oh, and definitely don't get your emotions involved with buying a house. There's always a better house somewhere else, perhaps with a working pool for less money! Remember, a house is just a house until you get your stuff in it. That's when it becomes a home! (Insert smiley face of your choice here, cause obviously tapatalk's smiley faces isn't jelly bean compatible yet!)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Agggh! I lost my federal government credit card! This is not going to go over very well...

But on other wonders, you gonna get your realtor to take you on another tour? I'm vicariously getting excited over that pool!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

LOL, excitement will have to wait, Rob. But consider it payback for when you made us ALL wait a very long time while you were awaiting the arrival of your pool replacement parts! :mrgreen:

We've decided to look for an acre or two (live on an acre now) and just have a house built to our specs...which will mean having (another) pool installed. The kiddos are not happy about us not pursuing the other house.

Anyway, once we get everything lined up, sold, bought, planned and built, I'll be sure to pop back on here to share the pool build. I kinda really like our buried Doughboy with deck - but will have to wait to see how much money will be left over after the house build and then decide if we'll repeat the Doughboy. Our marriage survived it the first time, so ......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.