INTEX 1600 Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Timing help

Dg456

Jul 6, 2012
Hi

I have a INTEX 1600 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Set using it with a 12 x 36 intex ultra fram pool. I don't kow exactly how many gallons of water guessing about 2200. How long do I set my daily timer for the pump to come on each day? The manual say 2 hours should be good but the guys at the pool store says 6 hours. Not sure what to do and the 4 hour difference seems like a big difference.

Anyone know the correct time I should program it for?

Re: INTEX 1600 Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Timing he

I get 2100 for you pool.

Dg456 said:
How long do I set my daily timer for the pump to come on each day?
That is trial and error. I would start at about 2 hours and see how well you are holding your FC level. Make sure you get up to your FC level using bleach/liquid chlorine then let the swg take over from there. Take a look at this pool school article for swgs: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Ok thanks for the help

This is my first pool and just set it up today. I don't know what FC level is? Also I put in 1.5 bags of salt (40 lbs each) today at start up. Was that enough. How much Bleach/liquid chlorine would I use and when is a good time to put in in? The pump should come on when the sun is hitting the pool, right? I read to disconnect the copper bar, is that a good idea? If so why and how would that be done? Thanks again for the help

Dg456 said:
I don't know what FC level is?
FC is Free Chlorine, the good stuff that sanitizes the pool water. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/swimming_pool_definitions_abbreviations

Dg456 said:
Also I put in 1.5 bags of salt (40 lbs each) today at start up. Was that enough.
Using poolcalculator.com and 2100 gallons I get 60 lbs got you to 3400 ppm salt. Perfect! See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator One thing you will see in there is a cya level which is really important. If you do not have any cya in you pool the intex swg may not be able to produce enough chlorine match the chlorine being lost to the sun (cya protects the chlorine from the sun). CYA, also known as stabalizer/conditioner can be bought at most hardware, home stores and walmart. Poolclaculator.com gives me 20 ounces of cya needed to raise your 2100 gallon pool to 70 ppm cya.

Dg456 said:
How much Bleach/liquid chlorine would I use and when is a good time to put in in?
Once again cya levels are important here. Right now I assume you have 0 cya (you haven't added any stabilizer, used trichlor pucks, or dichlor powder), then your target minimum FC level is 1 ppm (from poolcalculator.com). Once you get the 70 ppm cya in the pool, then your minimum FC level is 3 ppm.

Dg456 said:
The pump should come on when the sun is hitting the pool, right?
Typically it is best to run the swg durng the middle of the day, so for you that is when you pump needs to run.

Dg456 said:
I read to disconnect the copper bar, is that a good idea?
Yes, if you leave it plugged in, it will add copper to your pool. Copper can stain pool surfaces and turn blonde hair green. Copper is not needed if you maintain appropriate levels of chlorine.

Dg456 said:
If so why and how would that be done?
Just unscrew the nut and pull the plug off. On yours, you might be able to easily remove the whole copper bar/tube assembly easily

WOW this is a lot to learn...lol. I tried to use the pool calculator and I guess I don't know how to use it. I will go to home depot and get 20 oz of stabilizer tomorrow. Or should I wait a couple days? Just add to the pool, do u need to wait before going in? How do u measure the FC level, from one of the test strips? How oftem do i test this and add stabilizer? After the 20 oz of stabilizer should that be it, I'll be good to go? I bought this filter/pump thinking just add the salt and sand and I should be good to go lol

Thank again for all ure help, U ROCK!

Dg456 said:
I tried to use the pool calculator and I guess I don't know how to use it.
See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_calculator

Dg456 said:
I will go to home depot and get 20 oz of stabilizer tomorrow
Just so you are aware, the smallest quantity can buy is usually 3-4 lbs. Good news is, if you keep it dry you can store it for a very long time and use it in future years.

Dg456 said:
Or should I wait a couple days? Just add to the pool, do u need to wait before going in?
I would start adding it as soon as you have it. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front the water return to the pool, so that the flow buffets it as it hangs in the pool. Go ahead and give it a squeeze every once and awhile as well.

Dg456 said:
How do u measure the FC level, from one of the test strips?
An appropriate test kit is best. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Short of that, you are probably best off just using the drop based OTO chlorine test...in the link at the bottom it talks about the HTH 6-way drop based test kit. THe OTO test kit only measures Total Chlorine, but if you don't get an algae outbreak then you can get by with that for now.

Dg456 said:
How oftem do i test this and add stabilizer?
Add it once, it doesn't leave the pool unless it is splashed out or from drain/refill. Test 1 week after adding, to make sure it is there...it can take a week to show up on test.

Can I just take the a sample of the water to the pool store to get tested for all this? Seem like it would be easier? The return is the outlet, right?

You can but pool stores are notoriously inconsistent, and you typically need test results at times inconvient (and too often) to go to the store for.

I know those test kits can seem intimidating, but they really are easy to use and we are here to assist. Also, I know the expense probably seems high compared to what you have put into the pool, but in the long run it really save time and reduces pool downtime. If you absolutely are against getting one of the two kits mentioned, then at least swing by walmart and get the HTH 6-way drop based kit also mentioned at the bottom of the test kits link I posted above.

The learning curve to understanding basic pool chemistry is short and again, we are here to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.