Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

green pool

Hi everyone...I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone might be able to help me out. My pool had been blue but very cloudy since last year. This year, I started off with the same cloudy water as soon as I opened my pool. I went to Namco and had my water tested and they said my alkaline was high so I was advised to use 2lbs PH decreaser for a 21'x41' above ground pool. The sales guy then said to put in 2lbs of shock. The next day I looked out and my pool is green and has been for 3 days. Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: green pool

Welcome to tfp, adamtheaxe

Cloudy water is almost always a sign that you have algae growing and you need to do the shocking process.

To do this most effectively you will need your own appropriate test kit. See this link for these kits: I like the TF-100 most bang for buck.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hillsborough, NC

What are your current test numbers? Is the water cloudy green or clear green? What is your water source? Clear green most likely means metal in the water. Cloudy green means algae. Go over to Pool School and read up on how to shock your pool. What test kit do you have? Either of these is recommended, and required for the shocking.

27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your replies. All I've used as recommended by Namco are the test strips where you just dip them and read the results. Those numbers if it's of any help are:

FCI: 1
    TCI: 1
    Alk: 120
    pH: 7.2
    TH: 0
    CyA: 40

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

unfortunately, test strips are the worst ... so that is not much help

Order one of the test kits in the link provided and while waiting, read through Pool School a few times to start to learn the truth about your pool chemistry.

Then post up the test results when you get the kit and we can help get you straightened out.

Ask questions as they come up.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!