Dogs in pool / dog ramp

Jul 6, 2012
Michigan
We are putting in a 15 x 30 x 48" pool that we are going to have installed. This is a used pool that is being given to us.

My question is about dogs in above ground pools. My husband has a 110lb black lab hunting dog that loves the water. Do we need to worry about the dog tearing the liner? Is it just a matter of getting a dog ramp? If so, is there a ramp that can accommodate such a large dog?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Kim

I'm not sure about ramps... I have steps that go down into my pool that the dog easily navigates. Before I had a deck built, there was a ladder on the outside of the pool and steps inside. The ladder was more difficult for him, but he wanted in the pool, so he climbed it... then again, he is only 78 pounds.

My dog considers the steps as his 'home base'. He dives for rings from the steps or just swims around a bit always returning to the steps to rest or regroup. Just a few stern "NOs" have kept him away from the sides of the pool. No problem in five years (knock on wood).

I have a mini dachsund that loves the water. We changed our ladder last year when we added a deck and put steps into the pool. He can get in and out of the water on his own (although at times he is jealous of me playing with the grandkids and he fusses until I go put him in :lol: ). It has been so hot out that we have been letting him swim with us more often now. He has been good about keeping away from the liner. I have read that having dogs in the pool is hard on the water chemistry and upkeep of the pool. Don't know how true that actually is.

This is not to discourage you with the wedding step style.

We purchased a used set 2 years ago. My son drove to pick them up. I paid $200 for the steps plus $100 for him and a friend picking them up as it took them all afternoon ($50.00 for gas and $25.00 apiece). They were very flimsy and we used them very little as they just weren't sturdy. I am overweight and did not trust them and did not use them. My kids and grandkids used them, but complained about them giving when going up and down and you could see them bending under the weight.

Last year, we took them out and replaced them with a better set that I picked up from craigslist. It had the handle in the middle of the top step and then connected to the deck. Due to the handle/rail being in the middle it was ackward when getting in and out for the adults. Grandkids didn't have a problem. They still weren't as sturdy as I liked.

We gave the first set away. The second set we sold them for what we gave for them ($40.00).

We purchased a set of Mighty Steps in the 38 inch model with a weight limit of 400 pounds. The kids love them and I can use them without difficulty.

My husband wants to build a deck, but I'm not sure that will happen right away.The fence goes 3/4 way around the pool, so we might have to get more fencing to make the building inspector happy... I'm not sure yet. In our township they are really picky on safety. They want a fence with gate and gate lock on INSIDE towards the pool, where only "big kids" can reach over and unlatch the gate. We are not taking the deck that came with the pool as it wasn't in good structural shape. At the bottom of this post I attached the current set up of the pool that resides at a friends house.

I found a good deal on the Confer steps on Craigslist $300, but the Confer website says that they are no longer manufactured with the holes due to building codes. I just might take the picture up to our building inspector and ask him if they are OK.

5Hf5Je5M53F63o63N7c7545fc68646cc01384.jpg

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 204

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.