Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm worried about pool collapsing and destroying the house !

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm worried about pool collapsing and destroying the house !

I know the probability of this happening is small but my 60-year-old house sits on a dirt slope and the only place I can put the pool is on a brick patio right above it. The space under the house contains heating and electrical systems with large vents facing the patio. The patio also has a wall on the other side so if the pool leaks or collapses all the water will go toward the house. The pool is an 18-foot Intex above-ground pool. It's about a year old and is still in good condition but I've heard about this type of pool collapsing and I'm still worried.

Please let me know if you think I should be worried or if I'm just being paranoid.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm worried about pool collapsing and destroying the hou

DON'T DO IT!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The odds of a failure are quite low. On the other hand, the cost of a failure could be quite high in that situation.

How much room do you have to work with? I wonder if you could do something that would divert any water around the house?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The odds of a failure are quite low. On the other hand, the cost of a failure could be quite high in that situation.

How much room do you have to work with? I wonder if you could do something that would divert any water around the house?
    Thanks for the replies. I have about 4 feet between the pool and the house with no door in use on that side of the house so there should be plenty of room to put up a barrier. The barrier will have to be at least 50 feet long to divert water around the house.

5. Back To Top    #5

Some pictures of your house, the patio, and any areas around the house would help.

If the patio is solid and level, and the pool is in good shape then chances are slim it would collapse, but as Jason stated, if something out of the ordinary would happen the expense would be huge.

If the patio is your only option for setting up the pool it will come down to if you want to take the risk or not.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Sabrina
    Some pictures of your house, the patio, and any areas around the house would help.

If the patio is solid and level, and the pool is in good shape then chances are slim it would collapse, but as Jason stated, if something out of the ordinary would happen the expense would be huge.

If the patio is your only option for setting up the pool it will come down to if you want to take the risk or not.
    Thanks Samantha. Here are two pictures I just took today. They don't show the slope under the house but you can see the vent openings at ground level.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

I takeit the vents are under the door?

Can you snap a pic going away from the house where the patio stops?

It certainly looks like an interesting situation, but with enough information and some more pics, I am sure there is more than enough collective know how on this forum to figure out a solution.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

8. Back To Top    #8

What will happen to the splash out water, say some people start doing cannon ball, is the water going to somehow get in those vents?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

9. Back To Top    #9

This is an idea and might not work.

It looks like under the plants the bricks aren't there. Is it possible to put in a trench next to the house to divert the water? It would mean doing some landscaping. If you put in a trench you should be able to put some grates of some sort on top of the trench so that you wouldn't have the danger of falling or stumbling in it. At the end of the trench you may have to find a way to divert the water away from the house.

I live in an old house and have never done any construction work so if this won't work sorry for the suggestion.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I would not worry about it. If the pool does explode it probably wont cause that much damage. Those vent openings are small and will slow down the rush of the water. I assume that it rains on your patio from time to time, so water has gotten into the vents.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I'm putting in my 2 cents worth and if it were me I would not place the pool that close to the house. Just think about what that much water could do damage wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag-gZHHVdSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3R_dciTkg
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

I would say that the two youtube videos show that the exploding pool does not do much damage. In the first videoo the plastic garden shed is not destroyed or swept away. In the second video the large swing set / tree house is not damaged at all. The guy wasn't too smart having hids daughter in the play set when he cut the pool. The odds of your pool exploding without some help from vandals is very low. Even if it did explode it would just get wet under the house, no damage.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a friend who had an 18' above ground that the sidewall collapsed on and it moved his wood shed 3 feet off its foundation. I don't know if its worth it or not. Water has some awesome power in large quantity.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm worried about pool collapsing and destroying the house !

My father in law had a pool blow out when my wife was growing up but it was kinda his fault
    He was in a hurry to put up a pool (hot day) and put in every other screw, this was back in the day when each panel screwed together. they filled it up and jumped in only for it to blow out with them in it lol!
    No one was hurt
    That was back in the day when money actually had some type of value and things were affordable so they just went to sears and purchased another one lol!
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

You could put a large timber or railroad tie next to the vents on the house. If there was an blowout with the pool it would push the wood over to block the vents.