Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with my cloudy pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with my cloudy pool.

We got a late start opening our pool this year and with an overly warm spring it looked like a swamp when we opened it. After constantly brushing, vacumming, and shocking it is now blue but so cloudy I can't see the bottom. I am getting so frustrated, it's been so hot here and my kids can't even swim in it. I have spent so much money at the pool store on chemicals this year already and I feel like I have been basically flushing them down the toilet!

I have no idea if there is anything at the bottom of the pool since I can't see it so I don't know how well I have been vacuuming it either.

I would appreciate any help or tips to try to correct my problem.

My test results are as follows:

FC - 8.8
    CC - 0.23
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 131
    CH - 218
    CYA - 28

Rome, NY
    19,000 gal, above ground, 2 speed cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Need help with my cloudy pool.

Welcome to the forum. How are you currently chlorinating the pool?

There will be no "magic bullet" to clean your pool overnight but , if you are willing to learn and start doing your own testing, we can help you get your pool crystal clear and it will stay that way for Summers to come.

Do you have an autovac or are you simple manually vacuuming? Do you have a leaf net? Have you used it to see if you have any junk on the bottom? Can you post a pic of your pool?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hillsborough, NC

Those numbers look reasonable. Head over to pool school and read up on shocking and the OCL test. Dragging the leaf rake over the bottom is a good idea. You might also try connecting some clear tubing to your vac hose so you can see if you are getting anything.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

No, I don't have an autovac, I am manually vacuuming it. I am going over to read some more pool school and to see about the OCL test. Keeping my fingers crossed!