Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer question

Well my pool has been doing great with tfp's help it has been crystal clear! But I did another water test at ace yesterday and my cya is sitting at 13 even though I know the tests are off it was at 37 in my last test. I'm assuming this is why my chlorine has been burning off so quickly. My question is what should I add for stabilizer? Is there a liquid stabilizer I can get locally so I don't have to mess with the shock granules? Thanks in advance!
    3100 gallon - Round Intex AG - 1000gph intex pump -

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer question

Yes, if you cya level is 37, then your chlorine loss to the sun will be reduced if you go up to 50 ppm.

I like the price of the granules, so that is what I use. The liquid stabilizer is fine to use though...much more expensive.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Yes, if you cya level is 37, then your chlorine loss to the sun will be reduced if you go up to 50 ppm.

I like the price of the granules, so that is what I use. The liquid stabilizer is fine to use though...much more expensive.
    My cya is at 13 according to the test I did yesterday. It was 37 on the previous test. I'm aiming for 40 cya atm. How much of the granules should I add then to bring it up to 40? I had problems getting them to dissolve last time though which is why I asked about the liquid.

4. Back To Top    #4

hard to say how much to add since your test results are so different.

Your best investment would be your own test kit. See link in my signature for the kits we recommend.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

oops, I assumed the 37 was your own test. Follow jbliz's advice and get your own kit. The pool store results are notoriously unreliable, especially for cya.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would get a test kit with cya but just can't afford it atm. I'm sorry if I wasn't being clear about the test results. The water tested at 37 cya about a month ago. The new test at 13 cya was yesterday. I've had to drain water out a few times due to rain.

7. Back To Top    #7

You could start with the 6-way drop based test kit at walmart. You can do about 2 cya tests with that.

Draining rain water will reduce you cya level, although probably not much each time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Those 6 way kits weren't available locally so I ended up with a 4 way kit from home depot. Thanks for the help I'll see about getting some granules.

9. Back To Top    #9

I assume that 4-way doesn't do cya?

10. Back To Top    #10

No it does not. Being a small pool it should be alright for now just needed to workout my cya.