Smelly Baq pool! HELP!

I have looked everywhere for help and kept coming back here. So here goes..

My father passed away 2 and 1/2 years ago and my mom wanted me to "learn" how to keep it up and maintian it so myself and my children can come enjoy it. My mother passed away 3 weeks ago and we are going to sale the house.

1st 2 years no problem.. this year the pool smells fishy. Here are my numbers per our local Baquacil dealer today.

Sant and Alg 44
Total Alk 80
PH level 7.4
Calcium Hardness 200
oxidizer 111

It started getting smelly at the end of the pool season last year. Like everyone else, everytime I go in Pool Store my levels are good but they say try this and that should get rid of the smell. we had the sand and cartriges changed last year. I used the Universal Filter Cleaner. After I used it I forgot to turn my jandy valve back to the correct position and I saw sheets of white tissue that I know is now white mold. I have not seen anymore and my pool is clear and looks great. But smells fishy. Seems to get worse at night?. Maybe just me...

I want to switch to chlorine but our local dealer said it would eat the chlorine up quickly since our temps have been 100+. I do not live there I live only 10 minutes away. I do go over there everyday and run the pool cleaner and clean out the skimmer basket and polaris bag with bleach and rinse them out well. The skimmer basket always smells the worst.

Online Baq online chat said I need to get the Total Dissolved Solids test results to better help me. They were thinking I needed to drain some water from the pool and add fresh.. NOT gonna happen... I am afraid my liner would shrink. So here is my question.. we have about 2 and 1/2 to 3 months of swimming time left since we will be selling the house and I know since my Oxidizer level is so high it may take awhile to be able to convert it.... plus since I do not live there and have a 9 and 6 year old it is hard to stay there but I could. I would just love to have my pool parties and not be embarrassed about the foul smell. I am willing to do whatever if it wont take like a couple weeks..
Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP!

Converting to chlorine will take at least a week, and it could easily be longer depending on how diligent you are at adding chlorine during the first day or two. It will also require a dramatic amount of chlorine, probably 50+ jugs of bleach, so lots of carrying. You will also need to replace the filter sand. You will also need a really good test kit with a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

If this is your last season with that pool, it isn't clear if you want to do all that work or not. If you do want to tackle the conversion we will be happy to talk you through it. The high temperatures aren't a problem, they will actually speed up the second phase of the conversion.

schertzy82 I really appreciate your condolences.. It means more than you know. We will enjoy this last session without a fish smell hopefully!!

JasonLion: I am so in!!!! and will start it on Monday!!! Forgot.. have to get the test kit... So hopefully Tuesday I can get started!! TF100xl is the suggested 1 correct? I really am in awh of how helpful this website is and how quickly you respond.... I really appreciate it... the whole pool thing has been a big thing for me to tackle and this year I felt defeated until now... :whoot: I want to be able to go everyday and enjoy time with my kiddos!!!!

Yes, you'll need the XL version because you'll be doing a lot of testing. Get the SpeedStir too.

As Jason said, 50 jugs of bleach won't be too many, and if you have any left, you can use it during normal maintenance.

My test kit arrived.. went to check on the pool and the breaker for the filter is flipped and isnt working.. hubby will fix tomorrow and i will test first and then use calculator to determine how much bleach to use.... is that correct? I determine how much to put in my my numbers from the calculator?.

If you have a Menards in your area stop by and grab a bunch of the "Extreme Pool Shock" it's 12.5% liquid chlorine and is on sale for $10/case (4 gallons). I think the regular price is $16/case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.