Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting Over

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting Over

I couldn't control the cloudy water due to dead algae, so had to drain the pool. Temps here have been hovering around 105 degrees. So, I'm starting over using the BBB method, as well as purchasing a test kit from Walmart - the HTH 6-way test for now before I invest in the TF100, My pool of 1,018 gallons is now filling up and will take some time. In the meantime, I've been reading the BBB steps and am confused with the steps that seem out of order. I first measure the PH, which will be way high. This is where I get stuck. Do I first add bleach, then Dichlor (lo'n slo) - at the same time? Or bleach first, wait an hour, then add Dichlor? I understand that I stop using Dichlor after 4 days. I also have well water, with very high iron & copper, so when do I add that?
    Intek Pool Owner-10'x30" for grandbabies. Starting small before going big! 530 gallon pump w/type A filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting Over

Add some lo'n slo, or what every you are using to lower PH, first and make sure the PH ends up in range. Then add dichlor after sunset that evening. You don't need to add any bleach until after the four days of dichlor.

For metals in the water you need to use sequestrant. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank for for the clarification! You didn't answer my question as to when do I add the sequestrant. I almost want to add it first since already with the pool half filled, is already tea.
    Intek Pool Owner-10'x30" for grandbabies. Starting small before going big! 530 gallon pump w/type A filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

pH first, then everything else.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

PH is 7.5. With the HTH tester, the Chlorine is well past the highest #5, (I only started with Dichlor as suggested).
    What would be your suggestion at this point for the next 3 days in achieving a CYA of 30 with this test kit, and when do I perform the test.
    Also, when do I add Polyquat 60 algaecide, and could you recommend one. The one I have currently has copper as an ingredient.

Your help is appreciated!