New pool

Seanc

Jul 7, 2012
Have the 16x48 Intex pool. Knew it was not gonna be 100% level, turned out to be 2.5-3 inches..low on one side, drain slope off the house, I will get a pic up. Luckily the pump, drain is on the right side towards drainage not towards house and on the deep end. Of course about half of the post are leaning the other 1/2 on the deep side look good. Noone has been in it yet,shook the heck out of the pool from all sides, several times last night, got it real wavey..looking for potential failure..holding up. There will be mainly adults in the pool, and older teens..Trying not to worry about it but, have ocd about this stuff..but figure the way these are sold, the water guy saying most are some what unlevel, finding very little online about actual failures...think we can get a couple months outta it..? Will be getting the ground perfect for the next season..looking at possibly getting a larger pool for next season..found this as a great deal,$399..damaged box at a kmart...

IMAG0237-1.jpg

IMAG0239-1.jpg

IMAG0235-1.jpg

IMAG0236-1.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

It's really leaning toward the deep end. I would be very nervous about it. Sorry to have to say this, but I think you need to drain it and start over. Even if it does hold up, the frame may not even fit back together next season because the legs and T-joints will likely be bent. I know it's hot and you want to get in right now, but it just looks too unstable. Take it down and get the ground leveled. Dig down on the high side. Do not build up the lower side.

Might not happen...I could not dig a foot square into my ground right now..have some insane clay about 4-6 inches down that has had pole diggers working..Have to get professional eq. out here and at that point not gonna be saving much in $$..call a pool co. and call it a day...

It is draining as we speak..try a couple other locations that still may not be perfect but, maybe at an inch instead of three...we will find out...again not much can be done with just manual tools to this ground..

Seanc said:
It is draining as we speak..try a couple other locations that still may not be perfect but, maybe at an inch instead of three...we will find out...again not much can be done with just manual tools to this ground..

Good that you are doing the responsible thing and draining!

You don't have to dig 4' deep to level your pool, all you have to do is skim off the high end so it is level with the low end, so if you are only off 2-3 inches then shave the top 2-3 inches from the high side, that should only be the top soil, before you get to the clay.

You can also use the concrete pavers, (which you really should use anyway, they give the support legs a bigger footprint), to help level the pool, just dig down to bury the high side and place the paver on top of the ground on the low side, maybe just dig the low side in an inch so it won't scoot or slid.

You really need to skim at least the grass off the high side though, anything to get the bottom of the pool as level as possible with the bottom of the supports.

I know exactly what you mean digging the clay by hand, anything below 4-6 inches here is nothing but clay or limestone.

Good Luck

did you remove the sod from under the pool? if not in a little while it will be stinking to high heaven, and if not go rent a gas powered sod cutter and cut the sod up and use the sod cutter to gradually cut down the dirt of the high side. do you have a rotating laser level? if so use it to level the high side you cut down. find the lowest spot in the circle and work the rest of the circle down to it. make your circle 19 foot that will give you a foot and a half extra all the way around. you never build up the low side!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did not need to do anything with the sod..dead...cut it low with the mower and then weed eated it to dirt..Had a neighbor have the stink problem...just threw his up over grass...

Yeah, I did not like the way it looked, and did not want that thing to break loose..kids get hurt...posts, fence..Do not know whats gonna happen..cannot spend too much more $$...can dig but, it will just take a bit..pretty much have to dig ruffly half of the pool area..have a new area cut out blending with the area I am using now...see if we can get it closer at least..will not fill it up this time...

will have to find something...powerful to dig..tried just for the past little bit..no go..with a shovel it will take a month :0 Found another spot..lumber and level for the most part looks good..just gonna put the pool there, see what a little water does...

I think we got it...10 hours of work today..sod cutter..lots of cutting, the area I cut out is alot larger than what was needed but, I wanted to get the area down to dirt and eye ball the best place with the least overall cutting.. ...and leveling..Filling right now, looks to be just about an inch off..maybe a tick less..!! I will get some pics up after getting them off the camera.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.