Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Post to share my algae horror story

1. Back To Top    #1

First Post to share my algae horror story

To start, I want to thank you all for the information provided within this website. I wanted to share a story with you. I purchased a home in March with a pool that had been covered by the VA. It was unknown how bad the condition of the pool was but I had to purchase this home based on the price point alone ($60,000 for a 2000 sq ft home on 1/2 acre). The pool was inspected for functionality and it was determined that the liner was fairly new, the mechanics worked, and there were no leaks (water was still full). Closed on the house and started uncovering the pool.

Words fail me

This water had 1 inch of visibility.

My filter hates me

So I got started. First order of business was to evict the residents. I removed over one hundred of these guys.

They do not like chlorine. The pool absorbed 8 gallons of %12 liquid chlorine a day.

And leaf netting

My Dog

and where I am today, 4 weeks later

It took 4 weeks because I discovered a setback, for two weeks the pump had a small error. When you touched the water you would be electrocuted. Took two weeks to save up for the replacement pump. Following all the advice and reading pool school I (a first time pool owner) was able to get this far. As you can see I am now in the FLOC and vacuum stages. Thank you all for the great advice and I will update when the water is crystal clear.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Post to share my algae horror story

Wow! I can see why words failed you when you first saw that. What a great turnaround I know you are not completely done yet but what a tremendous improvement.

BTW, nice lookin' dog you got there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jaklcide
    Words fail me
    OMG! Words fail doesn't even begin to cover it.

You have done an amazing job getting to this point!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh my... your doggie is gonna love that pool!

You have done a great job... it has taken me longer than that to clear my swamp in the past, so I would have to say that you are right on target.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by jaklcide
    Words fail me
    OMG! Words fail doesn't even begin to cover it.

You have done an amazing job getting to this point!
    I can only echo what Jason said because words fail me at what an amazing job you've done!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow. Impressive at four weeks! And imagine if you hadn't had the pump setback!!!
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL