Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Krystal Clear1600 gallon Sand Filter Pump/Low pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Krystal Clear1600 gallon Sand Filter Pump/Low pressure

I just installed this pump as a replacement for my Summer Escapes, 15'x42" skimmer basket pump/filter and I have low pressure reading on the pressure gauge.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Krystal Clear1600 gallon Sand Filter Pump/Low pres

Welcome to tfp, RastaFenian

Is your flow good going back to the pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just noticed in your picture that both plunger valves appear to be closed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Intex Krystal Clear1600 gallon Sand Filter Pump/Low pressure

I just installed this pump as a replacement for my Summer Escapes, 15'x42" skimmer basket pump/filter and I have low pressure reading on the pressure gauge.

The hose coming from the original skimmer basket and pump is 1/4 in diameter smaller then the new filter hose. I have removed the guts from the old pump as well as the old paper filters. From the plunger valve at the new pump, everything is set-up as the owner's manual requires. I added 50lbs of #20 silica sand before I back-washed and rinsed. Then I started the pump in filter mode. Is 50 lbs of sand enough? What type of readings does everyone get from there gauge?

The flow coming from the outlet is strong and the fittings have been checked for leaks, etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated

5. Back To Top    #5

If the flow is strong, then you should have no problems.

IIRC, 50 pounds is the right amount.

6. Back To Top    #6

The flow is strong and I am at around 5-7psi on the gauge. On thing I have noticed is that the older pump outlet at the liner created a circular flow. While I cannot angle the new one to do the same. The plunger valves are open.

7. Back To Top    #7

By circular flow, do you mean around the pool and back to the skimmer? My neighbor pulls on the fitting to one side using a bungie cord and this helps the flow to divert from straight out.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think I have it all working well now. I used a rope to help adjust the angle.

Thank for all the replys