Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA way out of whack

1. Back To Top    #1

TA way out of whack

So been a few weeks now since dupped by pool store, been using the BBB method suggested by several folks here along with "pool calculator" , however testing water every day and TA is way high, while others are within range,

FC 1.8
    PH 8.2
    TA 290
    CYA 30
    so yesterday added weight wise 22 oz dry acid ( all I had left),

this a.m added 32 oz of muratic acid
    FC 1.4
    PH 7.7
    TA over 300
    CYA 30

10,000 gallon fiberglass pool, I read pool school , "There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away, because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling. You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA. ""

, but this cannot be good having it this high?, this morning also now have began to aerate via roman fountains, muratic acid

should I be concerned ?

Intex 16' x 48" Ultra Frame Pool 5K Gallons, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 14" Saltwater System Model CS15110, TF-100XL.

2. Back To Top    #2
    West Chester, PA

Re: TA way out of whack

I'm wondering why your FC is so low?
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Dattia's right. First things first, get that FC up. With a CYA of 30, you never want to let it below 2. Dose it to 5 or 6 so that when it falls it won't fall below 2.

Second, if you follow the aeration process in pool school, you'll have relatively low pH throughout the process which will keep the CSI low. Use muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.2, then aerate with the fountain. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Can you put your pool specs in your signature line?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

1. Get your FC up and keep it up. FC should be 3-5ppm

2. Keep your pH under control. 7.4 is best but never 8.0.

3. increase your CYA to around 50ppm

4. When 1-3 are complete and you are making daily additions of FC to keep chlorine between 3-5ppm, then you can address lowering your TA. There is an article in Pool School that will tell you exactly how to do it. TA should be addressed after 1-3 have been complete for a couple of days at least.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

What duraleigh said....and do you have a number for CH?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.