PSI issue

coffeegoddss

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
Minooka, IL
Ok, so I know it's bad to admit, but I never wrote down the initial filter pressure last year when our pool was installed. I did take note of it this year when we opened - @18 - and it seemed high to me. But everything has been working just fine. I've had new cartridges on my list for a while but other things keep eating my budget's wiggle room lately. :grrrr:

My question is this: we have a SwimPro Voyager series cartridge filter. We are having people over this afternoon so I went out this morning to vacuum and do all my usual testing and prep. I noticed the filter was running a little over 20psi and, honestly, couldn't remember the last time I cleaned it or anything. So I popped it open, cleaned everything out really good. However, when I put everything back together, the filter psi hadn't changed. Also, I noticed that the gauge, that usually sits flush with the top of the casing, had popped up a little. I unscrewed it, emptied the water, and refit the gasket-thingy that's around it, and put it back int, screwing it nice and tight and it sat flush again. I'm hoping that I didn't mess something up by doing that. Do I just need a new filter cartridge? Or could there be something in the lines? And is resetting that gauge in the casing going to hurt anything?

More importantly, is a psi rating in the 20's going to hurt anything?

It is strange that the psi didnt change after cleaning the filter. Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off? What type of Filter is it? Do you have any water features or in floor cleaning systems in the pool? If all of the return is going through one of these it will cause the pressure to be high.

Bama Rambler said:
Lots of things can happen to those cheap gauges. The first thing I'd do is replace the gauge.

yep. Dropped the cover when cleaning mine & shattered the cover/bent the needle shaft on the gauge last week. Only $7.35 to replace.

Well, I'm chalking this one up to that weird phenomenon that happens when you do or look at something everyday and start to forget the details? Like pushing the garage door button...did it close? Or using an iron...did I shut it off? Apparently, I'm just remembering our initial pressure wrong. I went and got a new cartridge and it's brand new clean reading was 20.

This time - I'm writing it down! :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.