Newbie - waiting for test kit

jtammy

Jul 3, 2012
Mississippi
Good morning, I've been doing tons of reading on this site since Tuesday, when we were asked to help take care of a swampy pool that we are trying to get back in shape. I've ordered the TF-100 test kit and am waiting on it to arrive. I was hoping to have it by the weekend, but don't yet. I still have some of the Aquacheck test strips and those are the results I'm posting below

PH 7.2
FC .5
TA 180
Stabilizer 30

I know that I badly need to add chlorine, but I don't know whether I should start the shock process without the test kit or not. My strips only read up to 10 FC. I've already purchased enough jugs of chlorine bleach to get started, just waiting to get started.

The sand filter is running 24/7 and we are backwashing as needed, using leaf rake and brush.

Thanks for advice!

Almost always, it is best to wait on the kit so you can get more precise measurements. You should have received a tracking # with a delivery date. PM me your name and I will provide one for you.

jtammy:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Since you have already ordered your TF100 kit, it should likely be there in a (business) day or two. With ground delivery, I got mine 3 days after ordering it. You will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test to measure FC levels above 10 which will be needed to properly shock.

Since we are talking a couple of days at most, what I would do in the interim is maintain an FC between 2 and 6 (for a CYA of 30) per the Pool Calculator just to prevent things from getting worse. Remove as much debris (leaves, grass, etc.) from the pool and brush the pool to stir up smaller particles so they can be captured by the filter. Continue monitoring the filter pressure and backwash as needed.

When your kit arrives, then you will have what you need to properly test and begin the shock process. In addition to testing chlorine, I would also test pH using the TF100 kit as a check against the accuracy of the strip. Go with the TF100 results. A pH of 7.2 is right where you want it prior to beginning the shock process. BTW, do not be alarmed if pH spikes up during the shock process - it's quite normal. Don't attempt to over-correct that. Check it again after the shock process and adjust if necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.