Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex cloudy water/algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex cloudy water/algae

First, I thought we cleared the algae we had, but it still has a light green tint....so maybe not.

Here are our current readings with hth drop kit.

Chlorine 5+++
    Ph 7.5
    TA 240
    Th 400
    Cya 30-35

We are running our filter nonstop. I think the cloudiness is from possible algae still lurking but also the high TA and TH. We have been using calc-hypo which I understand can make things worse.

I tried to use the pool calculator but wasn't sure of my goals with possible algae. Our pool is intex listed at 6981 gal, but I think more around 7500 gal.

I bought some bleach, just not sure how to proceed. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex cloudy water/algae

The first thing you will be instructed to obtain is a good test kit because they need to see what your cc is because that is one of the 3 criteria to know you are done shocking your pool
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

Shock level is roughly 15 for your pool - which is beyond your test kit's ability to measure. If you try diluting it 3:1 with bottled water (chlorine-free) you lose accuracy. Although that might demonstrate to you if you're closer to 8 than 20...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

1) Go to TFTestKits.com and order either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. Pool School has a comparison of the two kits if you're interested.

2) Obtain a full set of test readings.

3) Adjust pH to acceptable levels, if it's off.

4) Bring CYA up to 30 if it's below that. If it's above 30, leave it alone, unless it's in the 80-ish range or higher.

5) Consult the Chlorine/CYA chart to determine your appropriate shock level of chlorine.

6) Read Shocking Your Pool in Pool School

7) Use the Pool Calculator to determine the amount of bleach required to reach your shock level, and then head to the store to buy 3 times that amount. This may or may not be enough, but it will be a good start.

8) Shock your pool.

========================

No...there aren't any shortcuts.

No...the "SpectralRainbowUnicorn test from WhatsItsPools.com" will not be "good enough".

No...you can't "substitute" a level/chemical/process/task.

Yes...it will work.

Yes...it will take time.

Yes...you'll be in complete control of your sparkling, healthy pool when you're done.

Yes...you'll need sunglasses to stare at it.

-Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't afford the Taylor kit right now. I will have to do my best without. Can you explain the diluting method a bit better.
    Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't take this as a substitute for a good test kit because it's not.

To use the dilution method you take 1 part pool water and mix it with 3 parts chlorine free water. Then test it and multiply the result by 4. For instance, take 5ml pool water and mix it with 15ml chlorine free water then use the mix for the test and multiply the result by 4. So if it looks like 3 the actual result will 12.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    To use the dilution method you take 1 part pool water and mix it with 3 parts chlorine free water.
    It's worth noting that tap-water is probably NOT chlorine free....although in aquarium land, we've been known to set it outside for a couple of days to remedy that problem.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

8. Back To Top    #8

A few years ago (before finding this site) I had to drain & refill one of our pools. For grins & giggles I tested the fill water from the garden hose. It came out showing 3-5ppm chlorine.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/½ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub