Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor CYA test

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor CYA test

I've been an occasional reader/lurker here for a few years and we've had our pool for 12 years, but we only recently (as in yesterday!) shifted to the BBB method. Up until this year, we've been OK with the pool store approach to keeping things in balance but this year it seemed that chlorine became hard to manage. Knowing what a wealth of knowledge TFP is, I came here and read up (again) on pool chemistry, specifically CYA. Due to our long-term use of chlorine tablets/sticks, it seems we'd been accumulating CYA over the years and this year we had levels approaching 100ppm. After a couple cycles of dropping the water level and topping off, we're now down to a manageable 80ppm or so. Still high, but we'll get it down.

My question is about the Taylor CYA test. We've got the Taylor K-2005 test kit, which is similar to the K-2006. Unfortunately, I saw that recommendation AFTER we'd already shelled out $65 for the 2005. But the CYA test appears to be the same. In any event, I wonder about the variability of the test due to ambient light. It seems to me that how much solution is in the tube before the black dot disappears is highly dependent on whether you do the test outdoors in bright daylight or indoors with dimmer light.

Anyone else have doubts about their CYA tests using this method? Anyone know of any other methods to measure CYA?
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor CYA test

flipflop:

Welcome to TFP

It is best to do the CYA test outdoors with your back to the sun while holding the view tube at about waist level. If sunlight is not available, find the brightest artificial light you can.

Here is a link to a complete set of extended test kit directions. Scroll down until you find the CYA - Cyanuric Acid post (about halfway down the page).
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have just purchased the Leslie pool version of the 2006 and I believe it to be the same. I test mine in the ambient light. I'm at 70ppm.

I too have noticed that my cya is climbing. I believe it is the 3" pucks and I am thinking about switching to the bbb method. I have not been completely comfortable about tossing bleach in the pool though and have had some people recommend that I not do that.

I need to knock down the cya levels before they become destructive.
    Someone once said "No man drowns if he perseveres in praying to God, and can swim."

16 x 34 w/Lasko walkout step
    Hayward Super 2 1-1/2hp. Pump
    Hayward DE 4820 Filter
    Hayward Low NOx 200 Heater
    Hayward Color Logic 4.0 Light
    White PVC Coated Step & Hand Rails
    McEwen Malcom 27-mil Liner
    Rainbow Chlorination Feeder (EMPTY AND NEVER TO SEE A 3" Tri-chlor TABLET AGAIN!)
    Klipsch Sound System

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help, Bo!

Based on that, it looks like my CYA level is closer to 90. Yikes. I guess I'll have to take the level down yet again and top off.
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner