Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: False pH test

1. Back To Top    #1

False pH test

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Two nights in a row I tested pH and got 7.2. I didn't believe it and immediately tested again using water from the same sample and got 7.6. A third test showed 7.6. I rinsed the tube each time before testing with the sample water. I am careful when I test, (unlike the teenager at the pool store!) How can results be so different from the same bottle of sample water?
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: False pH test

Airation raises ph. In your small sample it could vary greatly with the amount of co2 in the air.

If you testing indoors just squezzing the sample water could cause big variation.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What do you think your pH should be? It is pretty rare for pH to have much variance. How old is your reagent?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm happy with 7.2 to 7.6, but it is almost never on the lower end unless I add MA and then it goes back up pink in a week. I have a hard time distinguishing the pinks, so I don't know if it is 7.8 or 8.0. My TA is 80 and stays there. I bought a new bottle of regeant 2 months ago. Also, the water bottle I'm using doesn't have a top for squirting it. It's just a capped top. I use 12.5% liquid chlorine and pool life is good. The water is so clear I saw a 1" silver clip on the bottom that blew into the pool.
    Additional numbers:
    FC 4.5
    CC 0
    CYA 40

I'm not stressing about the pH, just trying to perfect my technique. Thanks to you kind people on troublefreepool.com, I am in control of my pool.
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG
    Raypak Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Relax and go swimming. You'll probably get better and better at the pH test but you seem to be keeping it in the 7's which is really all that counts.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School