To deep end or not to deep end?

Jul 6, 2012
Michigan
Hi everyone. I am brand new here tonight and am seeking advice.

A friend of ours is offering us his pool if we tear down and haul it away. We were told it is 15 x 30 x 3.5 deep. I'm thinking the 3.5 deep is water depth and that the pool must be 48". We still do not know the brand of the pool. We were told that it is possible to put a deep end in this pool. The pool is about 12 years old.

I got a quote for installation today and am getting another quote tomorrow. The local city company quoted $1,400 for flat installation and $2,100 for deep end installation. That includes sand and I'm pretty sure he said it includes the liner (expandable if we get deep end). I have no idea if this includes electrical and permits. I'm thinking it doesn't.

I'm going to include some pictures we have of the pool. I'm hoping to get some feedback... do you think the pool is 48" height? Or could it really be 42" high? If it is 42" it will be pretty shallow I would think!

I'm also wondering if you think a 12 year old pool could be moved and then installed with a deep end. It was of the opinion of someone I know that it would not be a good idea for a 12 year old pool.

Lastly, do you think this older pool is worth paying so much to have installed? We are not in a position where we could do it ourselves. How many more years do you think we could get out of a 12 year old pool?

Thank you so much for any feedback. I appreciate it!

-Kim

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 299
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 297
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 297
I agree with Bama that is either a doughboy or a lomart (same company). Older versions of those pools typically have a strap that goes under the middle that needs to be removed and the post then need to have a block or concrete added to the outside of the support keep the straight walls supported.

The age of the pool should not effect whether or not it can have a deep end if the metal supports are in good shape.

Deep ends of oval pools are more challenging, but I love the deep end on my round agp!

Thank you for your reply linen! Also about the tip regarding the extra support that will have to go in. I can make sure the installer doesn't cut corners.

I feel much better about this pool, the deep end, and that it's not too old and is worth the installation fee! Another question -- do installers typically guarantee their installation? I'm thinking of watching, and also providing beverages, perhaps lunch. Happy installers = better installation?!!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.