Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To deep end or not to deep end?

1. Back To Top    #1

To deep end or not to deep end?

Hi everyone. I am brand new here tonight and am seeking advice.

A friend of ours is offering us his pool if we tear down and haul it away. We were told it is 15 x 30 x 3.5 deep. I'm thinking the 3.5 deep is water depth and that the pool must be 48". We still do not know the brand of the pool. We were told that it is possible to put a deep end in this pool. The pool is about 12 years old.

I got a quote for installation today and am getting another quote tomorrow. The local city company quoted $1,400 for flat installation and $2,100 for deep end installation. That includes sand and I'm pretty sure he said it includes the liner (expandable if we get deep end). I have no idea if this includes electrical and permits. I'm thinking it doesn't.

I'm going to include some pictures we have of the pool. I'm hoping to get some feedback... do you think the pool is 48" height? Or could it really be 42" high? If it is 42" it will be pretty shallow I would think!

I'm also wondering if you think a 12 year old pool could be moved and then installed with a deep end. It was of the opinion of someone I know that it would not be a good idea for a 12 year old pool.

Lastly, do you think this older pool is worth paying so much to have installed? We are not in a position where we could do it ourselves. How many more years do you think we could get out of a 12 year old pool?

Thank you so much for any feedback. I appreciate it!

-Kim

Here's some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To deep end or not to deep end?

It looks pretty good. It looks like a Doughboy but I can't be sure.

Those aren't too out of range for installation if it includes the liner and especially the electrical.

That's a 48" pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, Bama. I appreciate the response! I am going to call on Monday and verify that the liner is included in the cost. I didn't ask about electrical either, so I'll ask about that as well.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Bama that is either a doughboy or a lomart (same company). Older versions of those pools typically have a strap that goes under the middle that needs to be removed and the post then need to have a block or concrete added to the outside of the support keep the straight walls supported.

The age of the pool should not effect whether or not it can have a deep end if the metal supports are in good shape.

Deep ends of oval pools are more challenging, but I love the deep end on my round agp!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for your reply linen! Also about the tip regarding the extra support that will have to go in. I can make sure the installer doesn't cut corners.

I feel much better about this pool, the deep end, and that it's not too old and is worth the installation fee! Another question -- do installers typically guarantee their installation? I'm thinking of watching, and also providing beverages, perhaps lunch. Happy installers = better installation?!!

Kim

6. Back To Top    #6

You guys were right, just found out it is a Lomart!

7. Back To Top    #7

I just put in an 18x34 Doughboy with a deep end and I love the deep end. get it, it is so worth it.

I agree with the others about the brand, that is definitely a Doughboy standard skimmer.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator